Alright well I'm not sure where this is to go. If it doesn't go hear, don't bash me about it. I really don't care. And I'm sure you've heard the question alot but I don't use the forums too much...So anyways.

Those of you who know Dimebag Darrell (ex. Pantera, Damageplan lead guitarist) know that he does a thing and its this really high pitched squeel. So does anybody know how to do it?

A good example of what I'm talking about is in Cemetary gates around the end
(6:36 ish)

(RIP)
basicly tho:

1 hit a note (kinda flick it with ur fretting finger)
2 wammy dive and return
3 lighty touch a fret
4 then pull up on the wammy
I think Eddie Van Halen did his squeals by doing a pinch harmonic, and pulling up on the whammy bar, and shaking it while he dived, if that helps any. It's not Dimebag, but I'm just trying to help.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by Metal_Militia15
No, they aren't. Dumbass.

What the **** is your problem I was posting to help you usually when someone refers to a "squeal" it's a pinch harmonic. I'm not the one too stupid to realize what he's doing...If it's not a pinch harmonic it's a harmonic using the tremolo such as a dive.
that is a great video thanks guys

pinch harmonics involve the pic, natural involve "over the fret" left hand technique

im sure there are variations off that, but that video involves left hand technique, he seems to be throwing in some natural harmonics with his right too
They're harmonic squeals, check out the April 07 issue of Guitar World. You dive, hit a natural harmonic, and bring it back up to pitch, all in one smooth motion.
Quote by CoDee
You dive, hit a natural harmonic, and bring it back up to pitch, all in one smooth motion.

Mattias Eklundh is the master of this technique
Quote by Omegamagi
What the **** is your problem I was posting to help you usually when someone refers to a "squeal" it's a pinch harmonic. I'm not the one too stupid to realize what he's doing...If it's not a pinch harmonic it's a harmonic using the tremolo such as a dive.

Guys stop arguing... Tis a natural harmonic but with tremelo work and picked with the left hand. I prefer to dive the bar before i flick the note but thats me. Watch the youtube videos, experiment with it and practice. You'll be screamin' in no time.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
****ing grow up guys, this isn't the Pit, no bullshit in this board.

There is a video of the Trivium guys showing how to do it on youtube somewhere, I can't seem to find it though.