Isn't this quote just as close minded as what it's suggesting?

"A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons."

Last time I checked there wasn't a right or wrong with musical taste.

Am I right with this? Isn't music still music without a certain instrument or vocalist?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
True, but we are allowed to have opinions.
Castles Made of Sand

I'm Nick.
Last edited by MercuryGuitar at Feb 10, 2007,
Quote by guitarjunky89

"A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons."

Am I right with this? Isn't music still music without a certain instrument or vocalist?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

A recent study also showed that, that 8% are better at not failing at life than the majority

Booya!
Quote by MercuryGuitar
True, but we are allowed to have opinions, and IMO I think rap is not music, as it does not involve guitar/singing (usually).

it does

it features alot of bass guitar work, and often some electric or acoustic guitar.well, the stuff i listen too.

i wouldnt say theres singing in stuff by necrophagist or lamb of God, but imo thats still music
No musical taste is completely objective and that saying is 100% true.

and also, most of Tchaikovsky's works dont have guitar or singing, does that mean that they arent music?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, they just have that quote in their sigs cause they're sick of all the people who are so spiteful of anything devoid of guitars.
I like rap therefore i disagree. I just like different rap than whats on MTV.

EXAMPLE: Office Space
Quote by yawn
Yeah, they just have that quote in their sigs cause they're sick of all the people who are so spiteful of anything devoid of guitars.

There are no guitars inside of women... And I still like it in there!
i have read it the other way, were its put this in your sig if you are the 8%
Quote by guitarjunky89

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is because many people have in their signatures "A recent study shows that 92% of teenagers moved to rap, if you're one of the 8% who listen to REAL music...so on and so on"
That is why I have it. I respect peoples musicals tastes, honestly I don't care if they listen to Fall Out Boy, P-Diddy, or Beethoven, but when people put shit like that on the internet it pisses me off, and that is why I have the reverse in my signature.

Quote by yawn

Actually he worded it much better than I did.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by MercuryGuitar
True, but we are allowed to have opinions, and IMO I think rap is not music, as it does not involve guitar/singing (usually).

so all instrumentals before the guitar were not music?

Beethoven? Bach? Mozart?

and what about Techno music, like Daft Punk thats great music.

IMO you are very closed minded
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Well what about composers? Like John Cage or even Bach? No guitar there, but two very influential musicians.
Music (myoo'-zik) - an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

I can see some rap as music, because some rap employs instruments and melody, but I absolutely can't stand gansta rap or popular rap.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Quote by Doodleface
so all instrumentals before the guitar were not music?

Beethoven? Bach? Mozart?

and what about Techno music, like Daft Punk thats great music.

IMO you are very closed minded

I stand corrected. I did not even think about classical, disregard what I said.
Castles Made of Sand

I'm Nick.
Quote by Aceroth
Music (myoo'-zik) - an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

I can see some rap as music, because some rap employs instruments and melody, but I absolutely can't stand gansta rap or popular rap.

Just because it's gangsta rap doesn't mean it doesn't have melody, and while I dislike most popular rap, it still is music.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by Hpda5121
Just because it's gangsta rap doesn't mean it doesn't have melody, and while I dislike most popular rap, it still is music.

right, that's what I meant. I guess I didn't word it very well. That's why I had the definition of music there. I was just saying I can't stand those kinds of rap, and the reason for that is that the lyrics are completely pointless. No one cares how many people you've shot or how many hoes you've got. Rap about something that matters, then I'll actually consider you a musician. Anyone can write lyrics filled with profanity about smacking their bitches or running from the cops.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Quote by guitarjunky89

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, thats the point. Its a spoof on a similar idiot quote that a lot of morons on this site use that says the same thing but about rap music. It was adopted and adapted by someone who is a fan of rap or hip-hop in order to make the point that the original was idiotic.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by guitarjunky89

I think that's a very close-minded statement.
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
Quote by guitarjunky89

Correct me if I'm wrong.

'Put this in your sig' quotes = failure
-[NiL]-