Ok so I'm playing Another Brick in the Wall and I am faced with a horrible roadblock.
When I overbend above the 10th fret on this Fender Esquire it makes a noise similar to that if you stepped on a cat (or so I've heard) and then the sound dssapears. Whats this all about and how can I fix it?
Wait...Let me get this straight. Your guitar makes a high pitched noise whenever you bend it up?
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
well first u said when u overbend on the 10th
y would u be overbendin? or do u mean just when u bend in general in that spot?
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Every fret above the 10th fret on the e and b strings will not let me overbend (a necessary technique for David Gilmour style playing) I replaced the strings with no help, I'm very novice when it comes to repairs so if someone could point me in the right direction itd be very appreciated.
well it sounds like u ahve dead spots on ur neck, meaning no sound rings out really, one thing u can do is replace the frets with bigger nicer ones because usually its the frets that give u dead notes
oo and is it just when u bend or also when u just play the note normal not bendin?
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
ooo
see thats weird ive never really heard of that problem nevermind the dead note thing then

um wow i dont no wat to say lol thats weird

i would just say bend at the 11th and bend up to the note
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
Ahh you see it's all well and good supposing i had only needed to bend 1 1/2 steps but the song requires 2 1/2 step overbending. And sliding just sounds bad
well i mean take it up to a higher fret so that u only need to bend the string one step to hit the note
that should work somewat
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
Please, look up the song and in the solo listen to the bending then you'll understand why it's a problem, David goes from a one step to a one and a half step to a two step bend sequentally. To give you an idea of what my guitar is doing, its making a similiar noise (or there lack of) as if you were pulling the high e on the fret board
ooo ok i get wat ur sayin now i thought u meant u just had to bend it that high i wasnt understanding but now i do
man thats really weird that ur guitar is doing that
and u said u tryed different strings?
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
You could try raising the action a bit.

If that doesn't work, have your frets filed or replaced by a luthier, or try using a slide.

Failing that, buy another guitar.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.