ok well this is my first build and i want some advice and i live in canada for the reason of suppliers
1. where would i go about getting the wood for the body
2. do some store carry guitar necks?
3. how could i make it a flame top
4.what kind of wood do i need and which would give me the warmest tone?
5. what kinda of paint would i use to make a flame top?

if i have more questions i will ask thanks in advance and i apologize for grammer but im used to msn:P
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
1. check the sticky, plenty of sites on there
2. Yes, same as 1
3. Buy a figured piece of wood.
4. Again the sticky there is some good sites there.
5. Same as 3
(I believe it spelled warmoth) warmoth.com is popular. Although it's not anything close to "scratch". I just looked into flame maple myself, and its a veneer or something like that. Basically a thin layer. It has a flamed look to it already, then you just spray over it i guess.
well the flaming i dont no how to do i would say look it up on google
um for necks warmoth has alot of varietys
and as for the body my suggestion is since its ur first build and (no offense but u will mess up , i did lol)good wood is expensive, i would practice cutting out the shape and the routing on a thick peice of ply wood first ,trust me it would be a good idea , then cut the final product out of the wood u buy
and for the body alder is a nice warm wood and so is ash
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Last edited by dimebag4eva at Feb 11, 2007,
yea i have a place to work on it(school) all the equipment but i just need a place to get the wood wouild i be able to get it for somewhere like rona or a hardware store?
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
usually a hardware store wont have wood that u can make a guitar out of
u can only buy it in like chunks unless u buy a precut body
um im not sure but warmoth might have body wood u can buy cause i no they have bodys but i dont no if they sell just wood,i would check that out
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
i wanna try and stay away from the internet i dont like dealing with all that
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
ooo well then i really cant help anymore seein as i dont no anyweres in canada or even near me that sells that kinda wood

um ask ur (im guessin ur in a shop class) if he knows of any stores u can get it from ,like ask him were the school buys the wood for your classes
my gear:
gibson sg standard
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
would it just be easier to buy the guitar i want for cheap and customize it?
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
Yeah, it would be. It'd be quicker too. Plus, if you screw up, there isn't the whole attatchment of the "i knew this guitar when she was a bumch of lumber."
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
lol damn emotions always in the way
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
if you go on warmoth and look at the vip model body where can i find a guitar like that? for under $300
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
Where in Canada do you live? If you are in the Toronto area, take a visit to Cambridge and go to A & M Wood Specialty www.forloversofwood.com. I get all my tonewoods there.
If buying a billet that you want to make into a lovely carved top, make sure you allow a lot of wastage and let the wood sit for several months before cutting and gluing it. Even after cutting, it should sit for a while before you dimension it and glue it, as cupping and various other movement must be allowed to finish before trying to dimension the wood for final gluing. I have seen a 3/4" thick piece of quilted maple bend a 1.5" piece of swamp ash to the point of unusability. I had to plane off the ash and then lost another 1/4" off the maple before it was usable and stable.
For a warm tone I believe, that mahogany is quite warm? please correct me and if im wrong. But a maple top would make the sound brighter.
Quote by Thewongster
For a warm tone I believe, that mahogany is quite warm? please correct me and if im wrong. But a maple top would make the sound brighter.

I made a mahogany strat and yes it does have a warmer tone but one problem with mahogany is it makes a heavy guitar and thats one thing I like about strats that their light.