So I think I broke a coil in my humbucker. I still get a sound out of it when you turn the amp up loud tho. It sounds like an old radio with a busted speaker tho. How would I fix it?

Also I was reading the EVH interview in Guitar World, and he said that he broke a coil on the humbucker in his Frankenstrat, but the humbucker still works. How does it still work?
I say keep it, it sounds awesome.

It could also be a loose or bad conenction somewhere inside the guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I like the way it sounds too, but i have to turn it way up to hear it good and when switch it back to the neck pickup it is way to loud. I looked at all the solder points and that all seems pretty good. Should I still resolder everything tho? See it happened after the wires on it that connect to the pots got jerked a bit(result of me being stupid) but everthing still seems well connected. It also makes a very, very loud hum.
Last edited by rockr09 at Feb 11, 2007,
Sounds like a broken coil to me, your can fix it by either finding the breaking and fixing it (hard) or by rewinding the coil.
Last edited by dave293 at Feb 11, 2007,
hmm... maybe I should have asked this first, what exactly is a coil?
ok thanks, so even tho I probly wont do it, how would i fix a coil?
Like i said before by either finding the breakand fixing it (hard) or by rewinding the coil.
Unwind the pickup till you find it, sand of unsulation, solder wires together, spray lacquer over the join and rewind the pickup.

you would be better of buying a new pickup Tbh.
Why does it sound like a broken coil? That's the least likely option - it's probably justa dodgy connection or a dodgy pot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If it did happen when you jerked the pot, try resoldering the connections.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I've rewound two pickups that had broken windings - by hand. You see, 'hand wound' pickups don't mean they are actually wound by hand; but mine were. I tried the ol' record player setup thing, but the wire kept on breaking, so I eventually gave up and just did it by hand. +/- 16000 turns....it took me a while, a few weeks I think; but the pickups work now, they're just microphonic as hell, because I haven't potted them yet.

I just got no sound at all out of the pickups with broken windings, so could the problem be something else maybe?
^ he thinks one coil still works. But it does seem unlikely that it would be that way. you possibly broke your volume pot. I did that to mine and now I can't turn down all the way. it is annoying, and i need a new 250k pot (although i am considering a diff value.) long story short, check your pot.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by steven seagull
Why does it sound like a broken coil? That's the least likely option - it's probably justa dodgy connection or a dodgy pot.

I said that because he thought he had a broken coil and the symptoms match. After he said he didn't know what a coil was i'm less sure.

TS check your connections, if you have access to a multimeter you can easily tell if the coil's broken.
Like Dave said.

And, just for the record, Eddie Van Halen used to lie like a mother****er. He would hang on the phone with dumbass music writers and just make up the stupidest shit he could and the worshipful morons would just write it and print it. A lot of people have ****ed up some very nice gear listening to his crap.

Ron
I said that because he thought he had a broken coil and the symptoms match. After he said he didn't know what a coil was i'm less sure.

The symptoms do match, but a loose connection, dodgy solder joint or dodgy pot are all far more likely. Broken coils is a pretty rare occurence, particularly on anything that isn't vintage - poor wiring is rife, especially in cheaper guitars.

If the sound is still coming through, albeit quietly, then it's most likely that it will be the residual signal from the other pickup coming through the ground wires.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Before you touch the pickup, I am pretty certain that the guitar you are talking about is an Epiphone, probably a Les Paul (or maybe an SG). Am I right?

The reason I ask is it is common in Epiphones for the switches to fail, and my Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul (for sale, in my sig) has the same problem, though it has gone away over time. My sister's boyfriend has an Epphone Les Paul too, and his did exactly the same.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
The reason I ask is it is common in Epiphones for the switches to fail, and my Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul (for sale, in my sig) has the same problem, though it has gone away over time. My sister's boyfriend has an Epphone Les Paul too, and his did exactly the same.

As did my second guitar (epiphone SG)..

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by steven seagull
The symptoms do match, but a loose connection, dodgy solder joint or dodgy pot are all far more likely. Broken coils is a pretty rare occurence, particularly on anything that isn't vintage - poor wiring is rife, especially in cheaper guitars.

If the sound is still coming through, albeit quietly, then it's most likely that it will be the residual signal from the other pickup coming through the ground wires.

I agree, but when he said he thought the coil was borken i thought he had a reason why he though it was broken. As i siad before he should check his connections and things like pots , switches, etc.