K i've been playin just over a year.. at first i was learning te basic chords like E A D C G Am Em, etc. but after like 2-3 months i stopped with chords.. because i think they are a waste of time. i know im going to hear someone tell me they are important, right now i can play Silent Night, Bodom Night - Children of Bodom. Pretty Fluently. and like Seek and Destroy Metallica, another one.. But i missed something. I keep hearing talk about Theory... I have No idea What the frig it is... I Mean, I can tell just from other topics that i'm pretty much gonna need it if i want to get anywhere with guitar.. so.. What ya think..
Quote by Will_Minus
There's alot of uggos up here too.

And the picture in the post above just says "Have sex with me or I'll kill you."
....lmfao
don't click this link...
scales and stuff i skipped it and am a sucky guitar player doing nothing but just looking at tabs of songs i like and not progressing, i mean im good but i havent progressed at all in a very long time
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
There are TWO MAIN things to guitar: skill and theory. Skill is what you do (speed, technique, things like that) theory is what you know (knowledge of scales, chords, keys, etc)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You should check out the MT FAQ sticky, read though it all, that covers a bit of theory and it's really useful
Chords are NOT a waste of time.
Quote by Kensai
Because 14 yr olds + teh internetz = liez

I made that up in math class.

Quote by Random Youtube Kid
Michael Romeo- You think he plays fast? You should watch him eat cream pies.
theory's the math behind music. it shows what's generally found to work and what's generally found to sound bad. understanding the rules helps you to avoid just writing songs with random notes/chords and gives direction; it also gives you an understanding of why it is a song you are learning is taking the direction that it is. it throws logic into the mix.
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
It throws logic into everything basically. And chords are a big part of it. Learn Chords Scales. The Circle of fifths. a few other things about music theory. Harmony Melody and it will make you a much better player. But also many great guitar players knew very little theory. Hendrix apparently didnt know much neither did Van Halen. The GUys from MEtallica and Megadeth didnt know much Minus Friedman who knew alot. Slash also said he nknew very little as well as dimebag apparently knew very little they just played what they thought sounded good
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Yes and all those guitarists practically live inside a pentatonic box

and whats wrong with a pentatonic box? if someone plays something that sounds good, it will still sound good regardless of how muchy theory is put behind it.

oh and dude, don't skip out on chords. they're building blocks, you need them, regardless of what you think. not learning them is like learning to drive without learning how to change gears. kinda stupid and pointless and will get you no where. I have a friend who plays Rhapsody solos and MAB licks, yet has no clue how to make a chords other than power chords and like open E, A, D, C, and G. Thats just pointless in my opion. your robbing yourself of a very important factor of your playing, regardless of what you think.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
There are TWO MAIN things to guitar: skill and theory.

dude.. you're completely forgetting about FEEL and EXPRESSION which remain the most important aspects of all

ot:
learn your scales, and how they connect, make arpeggios (playing 1 3 5 7 8 or 1 5 8 or 1 3 5 or anything you want ) out of them and chords will come by themselves
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by rock_and_blues
and whats wrong with a pentatonic box? if someone plays something that sounds good, it will still sound good regardless of how muchy theory is put behind it.

There's nothing wrong with it, it just limits you and after a while becomes repetative. Hence why after a while all of Kirk Hammets solos sound the same.

Oh and BB King can't play chords
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Theory is thousands of years of thousands of musicians writing down their experiences. If you wish, you can try finding it all out for yourself (which you can't in a lifetime), or you can learn it and be plenty more knowledgeable and expand your options greatly. It is simply experience in written form - what sounds like what over what, what can you use to gain this effect, etc...

Don't be lazy, learn it, you'll gain so much ground it's ridiculous.

It's up to you.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by TheBodomScythe
K i've been playin just over a year.. at first i was learning te basic chords like E A D C G Am Em, etc. but after like 2-3 months i stopped with chords.. because i think they are a waste of time. i know im going to hear someone tell me they are important, right now i can play Silent Night, Bodom Night - Children of Bodom. Pretty Fluently. and like Seek and Destroy Metallica, another one.. But i missed something. I keep hearing talk about Theory... I have No idea What the frig it is... I Mean, I can tell just from other topics that i'm pretty much gonna need it if i want to get anywhere with guitar.. so.. What ya think..

All righty, there are lessons on here about it, check them out.

Also this site is pretty HxC.

And for nailing those Silent Night sweeps and the solo.
R E G G A E
Quote by Funkicker
dude.. you're completely forgetting about FEEL and EXPRESSION which remain the most important aspects of all

ot:
learn your scales, and how they connect, make arpeggios (playing 1 3 5 7 8 or 1 5 8 or 1 3 5 or anything you want ) out of them and chords will come by themselves

"Feel" is a cop out. You can't play with feel if you're struggling just to hit the right notes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.