I've been playing bass for almost a year. I'm now starting to play on amps and setups that are larger then then 10w bass amp I've been using. I think that along with playing on these, a good thing to learn is how to equalize the amps. I have no clue how, or honestly, what this means. Where do I start and what do I do?
Honestly, the best way is to get in there and fiddle with the knobs yourself. What kind of sound are you going for?
Boost the mids and leave the bass and treble on midnight. It'll sound weird and honky by itself, but it'll cut through in the mix really well. The logical thing would be to boost the bass, however this'll make your tone muddy inthe mix.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Boost the mids and leave the bass and treble on midnight. It'll sound weird and honky by itself, but it'll cut through in the mix really well. The logical thing would be to boost the bass, however this'll make your tone muddy inthe mix.

That would explain why everytime I've recorded bass it's sounded like crap.
you just go off of how you want it to sound. you start to recognise where a sound is in terms of 'treble/mid/bass' or even with graphic equalizers, and you just tweak until it blends nicely with itself, or not if thats what you want. fiddle.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Yeah, basically just mess around until it sounds good. Not enough treble? Turn it up. Sounds better? Turn it up more. Too much? Turn it down, etc. Just do that will all the frequencies until you're happy.
Yeah dude. Its all just trial and error.

And once you learn what frequencies do what it makes it easier.

For a bass rig, 40-80Hz for the low end rumble. 80-120Hz for punch. 120-240 for low mids. 240-500Hz for mids. 500-900Hz for high mids. 900-2kHz for highs. 2kHz-10kHz for presence.

Idk...it helped me a lot to learn about what goes where in terms of graphic EQs.
Okay, so trial and error is best. I kind of get the idea of the bass, middle and treble knobs, but what about the presence knob. All it does is make my amp sound all static-ey.
Beware of using "additive" EQ. i.e. going:

"My sound's not trebly enough, I'll add some more. Oh now it needs more bass, I'll add more of that. Wait, I need more mids..." etc.

If you do that you'll just end up with everything getting messy. So instead do it like:

"It doesn't sound trebly enough. I'll roll off the bass".

etc.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
As mentioned you have to play around with it. Best bet is to start with all the knobs at about 12 o'clock then adjust from there.