Page 1 of 4
I did a search and found nothing which surprised me a good bit. I'm in love with his music currently. Anyone else like him? If so post your favorite album/song/whatever else by him.

I really like XO but I think all his work is brilliant. I suppose that Bottle Up and Explode would be my favorite song ATM.
Fair enough, but both those threads are fairly old, there's no harm in a fresh one...
you can never get enough of the modset genius... I like the elliott smith album alot, mostly because it's so simple and that southern belle kicks so much ass
Elliott is one of the only artists for which i'll actually spend 30$ to get a vinyl copy, and then buy it again on cd. The guy's a bloody genius. Right now, I'd say my favourite is Either/or, but all of his albums are amazing.
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
Amazing.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

ya hes a genious, the whole self-titled album is magic, my favourite song is probably waltz #2 off of XO
Last edited by OLP1 at Feb 11, 2007,
i definately think his early work is the best, elliott smith was a man that didn't need more than a guitar and a mic ....
One of my favorites.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
I've been like obsessively watching his performance of "Miss Misery" at the Oscars in either '97 or '98. It's easily one of the best live performances in the history of television.
Last edited by NGD1313 at Feb 14, 2007,
i've had an obssession with elliott smith lately too, i recently just got from a basement on a hill and i really like it idk if i could pick one of his songs as my favorite though i'd probably have to go by album.

roman candle-roman candle
elliott smith- needle in the hay or southern belle
either/or-2:45 am or say yes
figure 8- in the lost and found or son of sam
xo-baby britian or waltz #2
from a basement- kings crossing, twilight, or memory lane
Just a little random fact. The guy from the Shins is now living in the house in which Elliott killed himself. Weird? I think so.

If you're an Elliott Smith fan, you might dig Michael Huerta.
http://www.myspace.com/michaelhuertacoustic

Not the most original, but he does some mean Elliott Smith covers live. Close your eyes, and you can barely tell the difference.
Not to be a prick, jackbutt, but James Mercer of the Shins is currently living in the house where Elliott recorded Roman Candle on a 4-track. That house is in Portland whereas Elliott died in his girlfriends apartment in LA.

Another interesting fact is that his girlfriend at the time of the murder; Jenn Chiba had dated Rivers of Weezer before dating Elliott.
Quote by jackbutt
Just a little random fact. The guy from the Shins is now living in the house in which Elliott killed himself. Weird? I think so.

If you're an Elliott Smith fan, you might dig Michael Huerta.
http://www.myspace.com/michaelhuertacoustic

Not the most original, but he does some mean Elliott Smith covers live. Close your eyes, and you can barely tell the difference.

OMG... Sounds EXACTLY like elliott... So much it's scary... Not sure what to think
Quote by Gideonian
Not to be a prick, jackbutt, but James Mercer of the Shins is currently living in the house where Elliott recorded Roman Candle on a 4-track. That house is in Portland whereas Elliott died in his girlfriends apartment in LA.

That sounds more right. My boyfriend always accuses me of not listening and here it is out in the open. I just dont pay attention to whatever he says.

Its the house with the stairs, and he recorded it under the stairs. It's still ****ing weird.
I love listening to either/or on vinyl. The sound is so warm. My favorite song ATM is between the bars. Although all of his work is great.
from either/or is maybe angeles or 2:45 i agree about listening to it on vynal though, it gives a warmth that you just don't find on cd.
I would definitely agree his early more raw tracks were his best although it's all really great.

They're actually putting out a new album may 8, 07 with a lot of his unreleased stuff from his kill rock stars label days. Can't wait for that.

a really great concert he did was the Yo Yo A Go-Go Festival in Olympia, WA 7-17-1999. Search on youtube for that and you'll see some great concert footage.
Last edited by acorbin82 at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by acorbin82
I would definitely agree his early more raw tracks were his best although it's all really great.

There actually putting out a new album may 8, 07 with a lot of his unreleased stuff from his kill rock stars label days. Can't wait for that.

a really great concert he did was the Yo Yo A Go-Go Festival in Olympia, WA 7-17-1999. Search on youtube for that and you'll see some great concert footage.

I think I saw that. I watched southern bell. it was good stuff.
He looked so ridiculously sad
I looked at the track listing for that CD of unreleased material and realized you can already get almost all of those songs as what's known as the Basement II Demos for free online.
^that is what i noticed too...and even if they keep coming out with more of these unreleased demo things its not like a lot of people won't already have all the songs, elliott's demo work is pretty readily available online
ethier/or i just got the other day. its soo good. too bad that he is dead =( he was amazing
myspace.com/bringmethebrandon

R.I.P. Elliott Smith (August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003)
Needle in the hay is so amazing.
There's just something about it, I cannot for the life of me grasp.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
just wondered what did elliott record the elliott smith album with , a four track? or was that only roman candle...
Roman Candle, Elliott Smith and most of Either/Or were recorded by 4-tracks. Everything after that was recorded in a slightly larger scale studio setting.

About New Moon, I've heard alot of the stuff as well but it's gonna be absolutely amazing since the songs will be properly mixed. Plus there's a handful I've never heard.
Quote by Gideonian
Roman Candle, Elliott Smith and most of Either/Or were recorded by 4-tracks. Everything after that was recorded in a slightly larger scale studio setting.

About New Moon, I've heard alot of the stuff as well but it's gonna be absolutely amazing since the songs will be properly mixed. Plus there's a handful I've never heard.

Indeed it will be amazing. I read on sweet addy that one song was taking from two different recording and the tracks were mixed to get the vocals and guitar perfect. Seems kind of weird doing that kind of stuff with out Elliott there to allow it but i guess if we get new songs out of it.
Quote by acorbin82
Indeed it will be amazing. I read on sweet addy that one song was taking from two different recording and the tracks were mixed to get the vocals and guitar perfect. Seems kind of weird doing that kind of stuff with out Elliott there to allow it but i guess if we get new songs out of it.

Yeah I heard that saw that as well. It seems like a bit of an ethical question as well, I mean should an artists work really be published in it's unfinished form? Should people be allowed to "finish" it for him?

At least we know that album profits are being donated to his charity rather than a producers pocket, looking to make a quick buck. I can only imagine Elliott would be happy with the result and the fact that his music is reaching and inspiring people after his death.
Waltz #2 (XO) is the best song ever.
"i'd give my soul to be where i was a year ago... if i had a soul left to give"
My favorite song by him is probably Rose Parade or 2:45 AM.

I didn't like From a Basement On a Hill. Way too overproduced for Elliott. There's some good songs on there, like Coast to Coast
Sent from my iPad.
Unless I'm mistaken, was there not collaberation on Basement after his death. I was under the impression that others finished the album for him.
I've had an Elliott Smith Discography torrent for about 8 months now and I STILL haven't brought myself to move the From a Basement on a Hill songs into my iTunes. I don't want to be disappointed. I'd imagine I'll get around to listening to it eventually but it'll be tough, I think it would've been a better album (judging on others' reviews) if Elliott had been around to mix the final tracks on it. Apparently his family left out a lot of the darker tracks which means a lot of the best tracks probably didn't make the album. Also, I'm still pissed off that Elliott didn't get the Oscar for best original song (Miss Misery for Goodwill Hunting) and ****ing Celine Dion did in 1997. Ok, not really what Elliott was about but still he damn sure deserved it.
^ Probably true, he didn't even want to play it at the Oscars but the guys from his label told him that someone was gonna play that song at the show, whether it was him or someone of their choosing and that's the only way they convinced him to play so obviously he wasn't too keen on having anything to do with something as big time as that, but like I said, it definitely wasn't what Elliott was about (winning big awards and gaining lots of recognition etc. etc.) but he still deserved it whether he wanted it or not.
NOOOOOOOO the ****ing RIAA made these guys take down all the basement II demos! I should have downloaded them while I had the chance

In other news, I I finally downloaded Elliott Smith (i've got Either/Or and X/O on CD) and I think I like it better then Either/Or, but not as much as X/O which is probably in my top 20 albums of all-time.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Page 1 of 4