How do you play the killswitch guitar intro to Know Your Enemy?
I can't firgure out how you go from the D string to the G string without picking it (he only uses the killswitch for the whole intro)
Here's how I play it:
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------2---------------4-2-------------2----------------------|
D|--4-2-4-2-4---4-2-4-2-4-2-4-----2-4-2-4-2-4---4-2-4-2-2-2-2-2-2-3--|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

I dunno if he plays it a different way or not but this is the only way I can guess...
Is there a certain thing he has or does to make the string change easier?

EDIT: Also, when I listen to it it sounds like he's either playing two strings for each note or is using a harmonized effect... Does anyone know what that is?
don't pick it, just tap the string with your fretting hand.

And that harmonized effect is msot likely his Digitech Whammy pedal
Yeah.
Another thing is that when I killswitch notes for too long the sound dies really quickly and doesn't sustain for long enough... At the moment I'm using a guitar with a 5-way switch but the middle pickup is broken so I use that as a killswitch, so I dunno if that is the reason why it doesn't sustain or not... The pickups in it are pretty dodgy too.
I'm building a guitar with a proper 3-way killswitch in it at the moment, so will this fix that problem?
Yeah it's all down to the pickups really, if you see a guy called "Flyingmarlin" on these forums asks him, he knows a lot more than i do about Tom Morello.
Having better pickups could help.

Though this video on youtube has nice camera shots of when he's using his toggle switch so you can see his technique (He just uses hammer ons), watch the toggle switch solo it's insane!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-7fl1nJfw

and on the tabs, he does it a bit higher on the frets.

G|------------5---------------7-5-------------5----------------------|
D|--7-5-7-5-7---7-5-7-5-7-5-7-----5-7-5-7-5-7---7-5-7-5-5-5-5-5-5-6--|
Hello,
Another thing is that when I killswitch notes for too long the sound dies really quickly and doesn't sustain for long enough...

Tom Morello gets his kill switch works better than most peoples because he uses a EMG 81 which has high output. Don't forget his amp settings are

Treble:10 Mid : 10 bass:10

the high mids will make it more noticeable.

You also have to hammer-on very hard, so practice that.

Also, when I listen to it it sounds like he's either playing two strings for each note or is using a harmonized effect... Does anyone know what that is?

Tom Morello uses ( as already stated by cytoolica) a digitech whammy .

At the moment I'm using a guitar with a 5-way switch but the middle pickup is broken so I use that as a killswitch, so I dunno if that is the reason why it doesn't sustain or not... The pickups in it are pretty dodgy too.

You will find it easier with a 3-way switch, the sustain probablem happens to me also due to my guitar having passive pickups.

just keep practicing with the kill switch when you get your new guitar and the technique will become second nature.

.marlin.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Esparko
Having better pickups could help.

Though this video on youtube has nice camera shots of when he's using his toggle switch so you can see his technique (He just uses hammer ons), watch the toggle switch solo it's insane!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-7fl1nJfw

and on the tabs, he does it a bit higher on the frets.

G|------------5---------------7-5-------------5----------------------|
D|--7-5-7-5-7---7-5-7-5-7-5-7-----5-7-5-7-5-7---7-5-7-5-5-5-5-5-5-6--|

its actually :

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------7-------------------9--7------------------7-------------------------------------|
A|------9--7--9-7--9------9--7-9--7--9-----------9-7-9-7-9-----9-7-9-7-9--77777778--------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
its actually :

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------7-------------------9--7------------------7-------------------------------------|
A|------9--7--9-7--9------9--7-9--7--9-----------9-7-9-7-9-----9-7-9-7-9--77777778--------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Yeah, that's the way I play it.

Just practise your hammering on and off, it'll come in time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay