I mainly play electric guitar, but I have come across some money and I thought it would be fun to buy an acoustic. One problem, I'm left-handed. And I also would like to spend as little money as possible on it (I also need to buy an amp). I think I'm just going to buy a cheap right handed one and flip the strings around.

so I'm looking for:
-cheap guitar (up to 300 euros)
-a thin body (the big, fat acoustics feel awkward to me)
-one with a shape that won't look retarded played left-handed
-will go used

Thanks for all the help.
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Feb 11, 2007,
So what you're asking for is an electric.

Acoustics are generally pretty fat, that's how they get their sound. Buy a left handed model?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Well my friend bought an acoustic that wasn't as fat as to normal acoustics. I don't know the name or if they are cheap though. If none exist in my price range; then whatever.

but any brand or whatnot to look for?
If you are on a budget then you will not be able to get a good small body acoustic. If you buy a cheap small body guitar you might as well throw your money away.

You can not simply reverse a right handed guitar to play lefty. The compensation at the saddle will really mess up your intonation. To have the compensation switched from right handed to left handed isn't cheap. So get a left handed guitar.

I would recomend a washburn d10. It is the cheapest solid top guitar I know of. It's cheaper than most laminated top guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
Look into the Yamaha APX series. The body is thinner than regular acoustics and the entire line (inluding electronics) were upgraded in 2006.

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D451519%252526CTID%25253D600023%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

for example. (non-solid top though.. and you want one with a solid top, if you can afford it)
Last edited by fsb_ben at Feb 11, 2007,
Dude, six words: You get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap right hand acoustic, then just switch the strings around, it is going to sound like s**t. Seriously, if you want an acoustic, save your money and get a good lefty model. Since you are going to plug in, I would recommend an Ovation. I personally hate Ovations, because they only sound good amped, but they have a rounded back, meaning that would also solve your issue with normal acoustics.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
I'm decently new to all this too, but look into Jumbo style guitars. I didn't like how most dreadnaughts jutted into my rib cage and my arm. I was much more comfortable with a jumbo.
ya id reccomend checking into ovation and parlor shaped (000) guitars as they are relatively thin. what does that convert to in US dollars and ill check around and see what i can find for ya??
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
I don't beleive his intent is too plug in. It was said that he needed to buy a new amp as well, probs for electric guitar. Am I right or did i interpret that one wrong?

Oh and 300 euro is worth roughly $390 USD
Quote by johnos
I don't beleive his intent is too plug in. It was said that he needed to buy a new amp as well, probs for electric guitar. Am I right or did i interpret that one wrong?

Oh and 300 euro is worth roughly $390 USD

yeah, i just ordered a standard gibson SG, and im upgrading to a tube amp for it in the following days.
i have never played acoustic and don't intend to play a lot of it, which is why i'm not investing a lot of money into it. it's just for side fun and when i'll be camping on the beach for 2 months this summer.
Definitely check out the Yamaha FG series for that price range then.
They are my favourites in for those prices.
Not sure exactly how guitars are priced in France compared to the States and Australia (where I am) as i know that guitars are more expensive in Australia even once you have figured in exchange costs. Maybe look for the FG720S or FG730S.