Ibanez s370 -> Roland Cube 60.

A solid state amp rules out active pickups I'm guessing.
The default pickups I have are very good except for the bridge. My neck pickup has exactly the tone I want for leads (chunky with distortion coming through) and my middle pickup is good enough to get the clean tone I want although could be brighter. The bridge pickup I have is good for solos but not for palm-muting. I play thrash metal (Metallica, Pantera) and classic rock (Ozzy, Skid Row, GN'R) but really need a chunky bridge pick-up especially for HEAVY palm-muting.
Firstly, is it possible to just have the bridge pick-up changed because I like the other two? Secondly which bridge pickup should I be looking at considering what tone I'm after and the equipment I have? I don't really have a budget but realistically not looking to spend more than £100/$200.
I guess the middle pickup could be improved, I only ever use it for cleans and my ideal clean tone is as bright as possible.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
I wouldn't say an SS rules out active. just you can get some harsh SS clipping with them if you aren't careful, but that can happen with passives too.

That being said, I think your choice of music rules out EMG's, lol.

£100? 3 pickups? Swineshead. www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

you might struggle to get the third, but you can definitely get neck and bridge for under £100... all 3 for around £120, I think. EDIT: shit, I can't read.

Either go with swineys if you want to swap all 3, or bareknuckles would be a good choice for one pickup... beware, though, if you do go with BK's (or really any pickup upgrade), those "good" middle and neck pickups probably won't impress you for long.

best bet is to register for the forum at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk or email them for advice for the tones you want. I'd have thought miracle man or cold sweat, but it's best to ask them to be sure.

oh yeah, you can keep your neck and middle pickups if you so wish.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 11, 2007,
I think Dave hit it on the head. Bare Knuckle Miracle Man fits the chunky bridge and your style of music. But... once your hear the BK you will be wanting to upgrade the othe two.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
OK thanks for the advice, like I said I have a budget so if one pickup's all I can afford then it's gonna have to be that. To me the bridge pickup is the most important because of the palm-muting in the music I like plus I solo with this pickup more than I do with the neck.
Anyone else got something to add?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Go to a guitar store, bring your amp and try guitars until you find one with the pickup sounds you like. Find out what kind of pups are in it, then buy em.

Yes, you can switch just the bridge pickup.

I like Carvin pickups, btw.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Quote by rickmeister
OK thanks for the advice, like I said I have a budget so if one pickup's all I can afford then it's gonna have to be that. To me the bridge pickup is the most important because of the palm-muting in the music I like plus I solo with this pickup more than I do with the neck.
Anyone else got something to add?

if you definitely use the bridge pickup most, go with bareknuckle. if you use all 3 about equally, I'd consider swineys. Whichever you decide on, be sure to email them for their advice.

molson:
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Been doing some research, it seems the Miracle Man (open) seems like the best option for £90 or maybe cheaper on eBay. Also heard some good stuff about Dimarzio Evolution, your thoughts? EMGs seem to be out of the question because I want some versatility.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
I'd stick with the smaller, hand made manufacturers like BK and Swineshead.

I have a Swineshead Venom in the bridge of my Ibanez RG and its very good for the music you mention. It only costs £45 too. The Miracle Man is probably a bit better but remember part of the reason BKP are more expensive is that they spend money on advertising - swineshead don't.
Just been listening to some audio files... Swinehead Venom in the bridge and Condor in the neck pretty much does it for me with a Spotlight in the middle.
Last question (unless someone has other suggestions), what's the difference between plastic and wood coverings?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Nothing really, wood costs more. Its just whatever you like the look of.
Quote by rickmeister
Been doing some research, it seems the Miracle Man (open) seems like the best option for £90 or maybe cheaper on eBay. Also heard some good stuff about Dimarzio Evolution, your thoughts? EMGs seem to be out of the question because I want some versatility.

evos are very much aimed at a virtuoso shreddy tone, IMO. sound very like vai.

wood only seems to up the price, far as I'm concerned. It's a no-brainer for me, though, I don't like the look of the wooden ones, and far as I'm concerned the good thing about swineys is the cost...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Plastic covers it is then.
Before I go ahead and buy the Swines, I just need to know... is a pickup upgrade going to upgrade my tone a lot? Obviously not as much as if I got a tube amp but will it sort out the problem that my palm-muting tone at the moment is too weak?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
^ it depends, it should improve your tone, but if the thing causing your problem is your amp...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What amp do you have currently?

Edit: nevermind just seen it.

If your palm muting tone is too weak then imo you'd be better of getting a £30 overdrive pedal and settings its volume to full and its gain to minimum. That tightens things up nicely. The swinesheads will probably make more of a difference in a more expensive amp tbh.
Overdrive pedal sounds like an idea, which one we talking about here? TubeScreamer? I know that for SS amps a distortion pedal is supposed to be better but in my opinion distortion pedals sound like crap compared to my amp's distortion.
Also, why do you suggest putting volume high and gain low?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
^ you get the least amount of gain from the pedal and more from the pedal boosting your amp... but that does tend to work well with tube amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?