hi guys, i'm practicing a coupla sweep sections in songs ( this godless endeavour by nevermore and serrena by jason becker)to a metronome to get better but i was wandering weather i should practice with a clean tone or with distortion, whats better in the long run???
You should always start practicing a song without distortion so you learn it perfectly without any mistakes. This way, it will just sound better with distortion because if you start with distortion, your technique might be sloppy and you won't even know it.
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
clean, playing it clean is important when learning stuff so you can pick out the tiny imperfections in the playing
POST FINDER
clean

funny story, up until about 2 weeks ago, my friend thought it was called "sweet picking"
the game
Start practicing clean, but you'll eventually definitely have to practice with distortion.

Letting notes ring with a clean tone sounds fine, but with the distortion on, you'll hear the cacophony.