i have an ibanez rg with thru neck and floyd rose. i was wondering for giving it a clean up-i know that removing all the strings usually doesnt do any harm, but i just wanted to make sure. having the floyd rose'll mean i'll have to block it when i do to prevent problems setting it up later, but the thru neck doesnt present any problems removing all the strings at once does it?
You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum incompetents of the highest order
nope, its fine

just remember to block your bridge, otherwise the spring tension would pull the bridge down and it'd be harder for you to get it back up.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
its not essential to block the springs like, but it helps putting strings back on again.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I'd leave the 3 bass strings on, replace the top 3, then vice versa.

This way u are in no danger of throwing out ur setup.
Removing all the strings at once wont throw anything out of place unless you adjust any of them. Its easier to clean the fretboard/bridge/pickup once all the string is off.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
What I do when changing strings on FR's, is slide the cardboard packaging from the strings underneath the back of the bridge, so when you take all the strings out it doesn't slam into the body.

Asides from that, all is fine. As long as you replace with the same gauge and don't leave the strings off for extended periods, it'll be fine.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
and the neck thru doesnt make any difference does it? thanks to all
You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum incompetents of the highest order
Quote by madpickin03
Removing all the strings at once wont throw anything out of place unless you adjust any of them. Its easier to clean the fretboard/bridge/pickup once all the string is off.

Not if u have a good ol' Tune O Matic Les Paul