Poll: which company is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: which company is the best?
Electro-Harmonix
3 20%
JJ
9 60%
Tung-Sol
1 7%
Sovtek
2 13%
Voters: 15.
hey all, im looking for some new tubes for my Peavey 6505 212 combo, at the moment it has in it 5 electro harmonix 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and 2 groove tubes 6l6GC's in the power amp. it's noisy (although i have an ISP decimator to help with that) and it's either too brittle or too muddy, i can't seem to find a happy medium, although im good with an eq, i want a tone more like neverore, or arch enemy (i know that they both use krank amps) i just want to try and get a tone somewhat like that, high gain, but still smooth. anyway what tube company would you buy from (remember a moderate budget i have about 150). anyway vote on the best company you think i woudl benefit from or you have int he past, and please refer me to the names of the tubes both pre and power, thanks alot.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Tung Sol make the best 12ax7's, I'm not sure about power amp tubes.

How do you normally EQ your amp? (treble, middle, bass, etc.)
bass: 9
mid: 2
treble: 8
presence:8
resonance:6.5

rhythm gain: 7.5
lead gain: 6
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Quote by g-cash14
bass: 9
mid: 2
treble: 8
presence:8
resonance:6.5

rhythm gain: 7.5
lead gain: 6

Ah. Turn your mids up a bit, and bring treble & bass down a notch. That should help.

Barely having any mids will do just what you described: be too sharp, or muddy, or both.
i don't really care for mids, im a metal player lol. scooped is my favourite word. but i'll give it a try
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Quote by g-cash14
i don't really care for mids, im a metal player lol. scooped is my favourite word. but i'll give it a try

Sure, you don't have to go to 'Money for Nothing' levels, but just turning it up to 5 might do it.
I've got a full set of JJ's in my amp, and I'm definitely happy with them. I use 6L6GC's, too. Next time I think I'll try the Winged C power amp tubes and the Tung-sol pre amp tubes, though.

Changing tubes is fun!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I've got a full set of JJ's in my amp, and I'm definitely happy with them. I use 6L6GC's, too. Next time I think I'll try the Winged C power amp tubes and the Tung-sol pre amp tubes, though.

Changing tubes is fun!

Yes, Tung-Sol 12ax7's are really awesome.
Yeah, having that little mids and that much treble and presence will make it pretty brittle. Sooner or later you'll probably realize that scooping doesn't really sound that great.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Sooner or later you'll probably realize that scooping doesn't really sound that great.

^ Ha!

I scooped as a kid, now I have an amp with a mid-boost pull switch that I never push in!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by mr_hankey
NO!

Yeah it is. To an extent at least.

There are really cheap tubes that you should never buy. For 12AX7's, tung sol's are the best you can buy. For power tubes there are bunch of different quality tubes that all give distinct sounds. Some more gain then others, some more lows then others, etc. etc.

Its all preference from that point. JJ's are known for there higher gain, Svetlanas are high quality tubes with alot of bass responce, EH's are known for being very well rounded...etc.

Its actually all pretty confusing. Some are companies, some are brand names, some just ship them with there label on them...etc.

Groove tubes isn't a type of tube, its a company that labels tubes with its name and sells them.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by g-cash14

You dont need to have scooped mids to me metal - Trivium, Iron maiden, KSE, newer slipknot tracks are all mid heavey sounds.

regards
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by bonchie1
Yeah it is. To an extent at least.

We really need some sort of sarcasm smilie.
Quote by mr_hankey
We really need some sort of sarcasm smilie.

Hows that?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
There is a tube sticky.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.