Hey UG.

When I'm put on the spot, I seem to always end up playing the same old cliché pentatonic licks and stuff.

Any different licks / scale suggestions for me? And could you tab 'em out?

Much appreciation to any helpers.
R E G G A E
I like playing minor scale licks, personally. Gives it a slightly darker/emotional edge imo. Just learn some more scales, maybe some modes, and practice lots. That's about it really.
Quote by nightwind

Does the 1 hour spent watching it have a significant impact on my improvisation skills?

Quote by Raydey
I like playing minor scale licks, personally. Gives it a slightly darker/emotional edge imo. Just learn some more scales, maybe some modes, and practice lots. That's about it really.

Any chance you could tab some out for me? I'm hopeless at that kind of stuff.
R E G G A E
Quote by TheDarkestNights
Does the 1 hour spent watching it have a significant impact on my improvisation skills?

If it didn't, would I suggest it? It seems to be right around your level. If you are through it a bit and you think it's just laughable, then fast forward a bit and see if it can be of any help. I think it will be.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by TheDarkestNights

Nope, but the 1 hour watching and four year practicing that follows before you've actually mastered it does! (so I hope your not in a Rush)
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Quote by lead_zeppelin
Nope, but the 1 hour watching and four year practicing that follows before you've actually mastered it does! (so I hope your not in a Rush)

Haha better get my guitar now then!
R E G G A E
i don't know what type of music you play, but i play jazz and when i find myself playing the same old stuff when i go up, i find that sitting down for an hour and listening to nothing but music w/o guitars really helps. it seems that with guitar, most people find a box position their comfortable with and don't go outside that box. listening to instruments that don't have "boxes" really helps me to find alot of new ideas
Open yourself up to a new type of music.

I was bored and every time I played I went into the same pentatonic licks. I was about to quit playing and my friend said listen to something out of classic rock. I started listening to Fusion and Gypsy Jazz. I noticed when I started listening that influence was going into my playing. Just try something new.
try learning all the modes of the major scale

i prefer using the natural minor scale to solo which is the 6th mode

dorian, phrygian, and mixolydian are good to but i'm not a fan of the others
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
learning new scales isnt necessarily gonna help your improv. i know tons of people that know every scale in existence, but cant use them for shit... i find that whenever i feel that my improv is at a standstil, it helps to jsut put the guitar down and listen to some really good guitar work. i dont mean yngwie or any of that pure speed stuff, just something good thatll get your creative juices flowing. itll give you some ideas that you can then take and work with.
really good guitar work. i dont mean yngwie or any of that pure speed stuff

Malmsteen is one of the most soulful guitarists alive.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
This isn't the place to get into a Yngwie debate, as you both know.

Quote by nightwind
This isn't the place to get into a Yngwie debate, as you both know.

If I claim I don't know, can I get into a Yngwie debate?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
If I claim I don't know, can I get into a Yngwie debate?

Haha. Sigh. Well, for the next 3 hours I guess it's fair game since I have to go to work. But, no , it isn't really.

It's a pretty boring debate in my opinion. Any non-ignorant can see he isn't just about speed, but he also isn't God's gift to this green earth. Soulful? That's way to hard to define, it's just so effing subjective.

Anyway, zoooom.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Malmsteen is one of the most soulful guitarists alive.

yes, you could argue that hes one of the better guitarists alive. personally odnt agree. but either way, would you really recommend him as someone to look to when trying to get new improv ideas? i guess it depends what sort of music hes trying to improv on, but i was thinking morre along the lines of SRV, etc
Quote by denied
would you really recommend him as someone to look to when trying to get new improv ideas?
He isn't what comes to mind first, but studying his music could be quite good. You could learn how to incorporate the classical sound in a rock setting.
Quote by denied
yes, you could argue that hes one of the better guitarists alive. personally odnt agree. but either way, would you really recommend him as someone to look to when trying to get new improv ideas?

We're talking about a man who can improvise entire songs at lightning speed over chord and key changes and make it sound good. Yes, he has a tendency to get carried away live, but listen to something like Far Beyond the Sun, which almost entirely improvised, and tell me he isn't incredibly skilled. If you want something soulful, listen to Leviathan, Amberdawn, or the Blue video that's circulating around YouTube.