Ok, so I just bought my Carvin MTS off of eBay for $425 about a month ago. It's a great amp in every respect, but it just doesn't have the voicing I want. To put it simply, it keeps trying to be a Marshall, and I keep trying to make it a Mesa; and it's not happening. So I should be able to sell it for about $350-400 on eBay, plus the $450 I have now, which should give me $800 or so. I also might sell my Gamecube since I never play it anymore, and I could probably get around $150 for that.

At this point I think my best options are probably either a used Peavey 5150, or I might be willing to save for a couple months until I get a job in the summer and get a Framus Cobra, which would probably be $1200-1500 used, and is basically my dream amp. I'm completely open to any suggestions, but I feel I need an amp that was designed for metal; the Carvin is extremely versatile, but it just can't quite do what I want the most the way I want it. Also, I don't really want to suffer bad cleans, but the cleans pretty much take the back burner if the amp isn't good at metal. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions, thanks

EDIT: Thought I'd add, I play a Schecter FR Damien with Bill Lawrence pups, into a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12 cab.
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 11, 2007,
yea dude the Framus will be about 2kish and up.. 6505 is a great amp very dark and low end voicing. I tried one out yesterday and loved it. i really want one to go with my jsx.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
the 5150 is great. Also, check out Randall's. They have a great, full sound, even if its solid state. Decent prices too.
Yeah, the Framus' are like $2.4k new, but I saw one in great condition go for around $1400 the other day. I also realize that Randalls are nice, but I would like to stick with tubes. I think I'll see if I can get out and try a 5150 to see if it'd be for me or not.
i have a peavey 6505, its the best amp ive ever played on
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
where the heck are you finding it for 2.4k new? at rocksolid its 3.2k : \
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
That's the list price, on eBay there's a dealer that sells them $2400 for the head and the halfstack for $3400. On RSA it says "Call for RSA's best price!" or something, that's not what they actually sell it for.

And yeah, I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Peavey's, I'll try to try one out if possible, but I'd appreciate more versatility, which I hear it has little of.

What are everyone's thoughts on B-52 AT-100s? I'm thinking that would be better for metal than the Carvin, but not necessarily much of a step up.
If metal is what you are going for you can't really go wrong with a 6505. If you have money leftover I'd recommend a mesa boogie cabinet instead of the 6505 cabinet.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Quote by mexican_shred
where the heck are you finding it for 2.4k new? at rocksolid its 3.2k : \

Wow... For once England get's the good deal. £1k new.

If I were to buy it from the US it'd probably cost me around £1.5k
^ Yeah they're well priced in the UK cheaper and better than a recto. I'd say the Peavey's are a little overpriced in the US than they are in the UK, say.

Save up for the Framus is what I'd do but if your sh*t desperate go grab a 5150 off ebay.

regards
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^Yeah, I'd love to be able to get a Framus, but it will be towards the end of the summer until I could afford one, and I'm in a band and the Carvin isn't really cutting it for us right now. I suppose I could always sell the Peavey once I had enough to combine money I had and what I got for selling it and get a Framus, but that would be kind of a hassle...

And I have a Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12, which I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon, and I definitely wouldn't have gotten a 5150 cab anyway.
Dude, go for any of the higher end peavey heads. Plugged into the g-flex, it would sound amazing, plus, it is not that much money.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Yeah, I'm sure I could get an incredible metal sound, which I'd love, but I guess I'm just worried about lack of versatility... Though with a chorus and EQ the cleans shouldn't be that bad...? Does anyone know how the 5150 fares with crunch sounds, bands like GN'R and AC/DC? It doesn't have to be a Marshall or anything, just pretty good.
^I've thought about a XXX, but I've heard they're kind of sterile, and my main goal is brutal distortion, which I hear the 5150 is much better at. I did try a 5150 and XXX about a month and a half ago, and though I can't exactly recall them that well, I know I like the 5150 better.
save $ and buy a used mesa boogie. It makes a world of difference compared to all the other Sh** people are recomending
^Well, I'd consider a Boogie, but I'd have to save up to get one like a Framus, and I'd rather get a Framus over a Rec. Why do you think Peaveys are shit?
shecter boy is an idiot, ive played a mesa dual rec and my 6505, the mesa is not any better or any worse for metal. lol, "the sh** people are recomending" shows how much you know...
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
^Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking... I know he has one, so that's probably why he thinks everything else is worse