Okay, can someone please tell me about this Jiimy Page stealing music thing, I'm confused. I have a feeling this will turn into a flame fest.
what!? stealing music? maybe you can put a URL or somthing to let some of us know?
all i know is hes one of the best ever.....i dont think he will steal something...
As withall musicians his inspration had to cme from somewhere, he got riffs and ideas from the blues players. Still my fave guitarist though
now extra flamey
^"Everyone" meaning "a few arrogant teenage guitar n00bs who live on the internet", you mean?
Death to Ovation haters!
"And theres Jimmy Page, the greatest stealer of American Black music of all time"

Who ever knows what show that quote is from wins a cookie.
As soon as 1 hater comes in, this thread is going to turn into a hateful namecalling argumental thread.
Quote by guitar?
"And theres Jimmy Page, the greatest stealer of American Black music of all time"

Simpsons. The one where they went to England and Bart and Lisa got all whigged out on British candy.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
A quote from Jimmy, from a guitar magizene.
Quote by Jimmy Page
"As far as my end of it goes, I always tried to bring
something fresh to anything that I used. I always made sure
to come up with some variation. In fact, I think in most
cases you would never know what the original source could be.
Maybe not in every case, but in most cases. And Robert was
supposed to change the lyrics, and he didn't always do that -
which is what brought on most of our grief. They couldn't
get us on the guitar parts or the music, but they nailed us
on the lyrics."

Personally I think their loose covers, or other things like that were rather homages, or tributes to their heros rather than rip offs. The band has said before they wanted to sound like their Chicago bluesmen heros.
"Stealing" is a hallmark of blues music. It always has been. Robert Johnson's ".32-20 Blues" is nothing more than a blatant, obvious ripoff of Skip James' ".44-40 Blues". Eric Clapton's cover of Johnson's "Walking Blues" is lifted almost note-for-note from Muddy Waters' cover. And there is a canon of blues lyrics that musicians have stolen from eachother so many times that they're considered public domain. To accuse Jimmy Page of stealing blues music is to accuse him of being a blues musician and nothing more.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
"Stealing" is a hallmark of blues music. It always has been. Robert Johnson's ".32-20 Blues" is nothing more than a blatant, obvious ripoff of Skip James' ".44-40 Blues". Eric Clapton's cover of Johnson's "Walking Blues" is lifted almost note-for-note from Muddy Waters' cover. And there is a canon of blues lyrics that musicians have stolen from eachother so many times that they're considered public domain. To accuse Jimmy Page of stealing blues music is to accuse him of being a blues musician and nothing more.

Exactly.
Ok dont get me wrong i LOVE jimmy page and led zep, they are one of my favorite bands, however, they did steal alot for example, download "you need love" by muddy waters and compare it to "Whole lotta love", they are essentially identicle. Also "Lemon song" is a direct homage to Howlin' wolfs "killin' floor".

But tbh stealing songs or bits of them is a long blues tradition and any artist that doesnt pay homage to other artists like this can't really call themselves a blues conesiur. Anyone that lets this ruin their enjoyment of a great band needs their head checked.
Quote by TheGuitaristMan
So it begins

If you know it was going to happen, why in the hell did you make this thread?
Quote by TheGuitaristMan
WrongWay, you have one of the coolest avatars ever.

You are the man, GuitaristMan!
Quote by The Casualty

Well I just wanted to know the whole Jimmy Page controversy thing
Quote by The Casualty

Such hostility.
i think as guy posted a forum about how stairwy to heaven sounds exsacly like some old tune he showed on youtube....its all coming toghether now.....(dan dan daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!)
well Zep was sued successfully by willie dixon over whole lotta love (either that or the settled) and black mountainside is a pretty faithful steal of a bert jansch song, not to mention the D & C bassline being unoriginal
Quote by The Jew
i think as guy posted a forum about how stairwy to heaven sounds exsacly like some old tune he showed on youtube....its all coming toghether now.....(dan dan daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!)

I believe they asked Spirit if they could use the same chord progession as Taurus, and they let them. Stairway is played differently I believe.
Quote by guitar?

i wanna say jeff beck... wait, no... who was that?...
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by eltravo
i wanna say jeff beck... wait, no... who was that?...

Homer Simpson perhaps?
Quote by guitar?
I owe you a cooke, for a piece of cake where did Homer see jimmy?

oh and http://www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.htmli

jimmys a god damn theif

oh yeah, a ferris wheel in london wasnt it?

why the hell did I guess jeff beck?
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by eltravo
oh yeah, a ferris wheel in london wasnt it?

why the hell did I guess jeff beck?

Yay!

Cake for me!
Last edited by eltravo at Feb 11, 2007,
meh, he may have robbed from other, older blues players but so does everyone else at the end of the day, i mean fleetwood mac recycled elmore james untill they had to stop but i still think peter green is awesome
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
they also "borrowed" songs & riffs to make:

dazed & confused
Babe Im Gonna Leave You
The Lemon Song
Traveling Riverside Blues
theres some more i cant think of at the moment

but still they're my favorite band.
Quote by eltravo
they also "borrowed" songs & riffs to make:

dazed & confused
Babe Im Gonna Leave You
The Lemon Song
Traveling Riverside Blues
theres some more i cant think of at the moment

but still they're my favorite band.

Uh no.
They used the title of Dazed And Confused.
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is a cover.
Robert used a few lyrics from Killing Floor, for The Lemon Song.
Traveling Riverside Blues is a loose cover meant to pay homage to Robert Johnson. Much like Cream's 'Crossroads'.
Quote by AdayTripper
Uh no.
They used the title of Dazed And Confused.
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is a cover.
Robert used a few lyrics from Killing Floor, for The Lemon Song.
Traveling Riverside Blues is a loose cover meant to pay homage to Robert Johnson. Much like Cream's 'Crossroads'.

uh yes,

the yardbirds did an arrangement of dazed and confused, it wasnt origionally their own

they didnt give credits to the composer they took it from on babe im gonna leave you (I forget her name)

the lemon song has the same structure as killing floor
Quote by eltravo
uh yes,

the yardbirds did an arrangement of dazed and confused, it wasnt origionally their own

they didnt give credits to the composer they took it from on babe im gonna leave you (I forget her name)

the lemon song has the same structure as killing floor

Jimmy Page was in The Yardbirds...the lyrics were re-written, and the music is different.
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is a folk song recorded by Joan Baez in 1962 . The band was inspired to cover the song after hearing Baez's version and credited it as a traditional arrangement, since they did not know who had written it.
In the 1980s the band found out that the original version of the song had been written by an American folk singer named Anne Bredon. Since that time the song has been credited to Anne Bredon/Jimmy Page & Robert Plant.
Last edited by AdayTripper at Feb 12, 2007,