I was just wondering if fairly mediocre power supplies will affect your tone.

I currently use a cheapish one I got from ebay for about £15 to power all my pedals...

but I'm not sure if its worth forking out £50 to get a quite good one (on www.diago.co.uk)

Will it make any difference to my tone?
well i personally would use batteries, to get the most outta your tone, but its a pain in the ass, and not very practical, i tried adapters powering my pedals , and got alot of noise, even though i have the right voltage, miliamps etcs. im tryin to figure out hwo to fix it. But i tend to get the best tone with batteries
Power supplies will usually be a bit noisier than batteries, but I have never noticed any tone changes.
My power supply doesn't affect my tone. But some people have gotten better tone from batteries (Like Kurt). If you choose to use batteries, get rechargables. You can get 3 for £9.99 at Maplin's, but they're online 200mA each battery.
Last edited by AdamDK at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by AdamDK
My power supply doesn't affect my tone. But some people have gotten better tone from batteries (Like Kurt). If you choose to use batteries, get rechargables. You can get 3 for £9.99 at Maplin's, but they're online 200mA each battery.

I seem to remeber you have a Danelctro FAB Chorus right?

Well anyway, I bought one, and when I use it with an adaptor it produces a constant low buzzing sound that makes it un-playable. This didnt happen when I use a battery, but I noticed that it was very noisy anyway.

Im contemplating taking it back, either to replace it with a new one or for a refund.
Do you think it's a defective product or...?

*Sorry for thread stealage but it is related and I know Adam uses my pedal*
Quote by sam i am
I seem to remeber you have a Danelctro FAB Chorus right?

Well anyway, I bought one, and when I use it with an adaptor it produces a constant low buzzing sound that makes it un-playable. This didnt happen when I use a battery, but I noticed that it was very noisy anyway.

Im contemplating taking it back, either to replace it with a new one or for a refund.
Do you think it's a defective product or...?

*Sorry for thread stealage but it is related and I know Adam uses my pedal*

Mine doesn't have any low buzzing at all, or anything, and I use a power supply, and with batteries, it hasn't either. You're ebst to take it back to get a replacement, and see if it works.
i run 4 pedals with a power supply and i don't get a real hum until i hook up the 4th
The reason you get hum with cheap adapters is that they're poorly filtered. Batteries put out 100% pure, smooth DC with constant voltage, which doesn't produce any noise whatsoever. Adapters, though, have to change the AC they get from mains to DC. And if the filtering circuit isn't up to the task, you get DC with voltage that changes periodically over time, with twice the mains frequency. So if mains AC is 50Hz, you get hum at 100Hz, plus weaker overtones at 200, 400 etc. For many applications this isn't a problem, since the hum is never heard, but for audio you'll want to make sure the adapter is well filtered.

Quote by bi$anz
i run 4 pedals with a power supply and i don't get a real hum until i hook up the 4th

Check how many milliamps your adapter can provide, and how many your pedals consume. If the four pedals put together draw more than the adapter can supply, the result might be that the voltage drops, the filter circuit can't smooth the current that well anymore, and you get the hum I mentioned earlier.
But do people who use batteries with every pedal have to unplug all the inputs when they're done playing?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I think it's an inconvinience just doing it with one or 2 pedals. Then forgetting sometime, and draining the battery.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I remember reading an article on how some guitar tech said that using power supplies affects your tone a bit. I've never really noticed any difference, though.
Sent from my iPad.
If u use batteries, Use CARBON batteries, the cheapies. They tend to leave a little sag, especially in tube screamers. Give you that old vintage break up sound. seriously, check it out
Quote by Kurt_Rosenwinkl
If u use batteries, Use CARBON batteries, the cheapies. They tend to leave a little sag, especially in tube screamers. Give you that old vintage break up sound. seriously, check it out

Hey, if Eric Johnson's favourite is Duracell alkaline, carbon can't be all that much better.
i always use batteries, the supply makes my board too noisy.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
a good power supply adds no additional hum.

and actually i found that my 1-spot adapter is $30, powers 6 pedals, and is as quiet as a mouse.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011