I've been playing for about 3 months now. And I'm starting to get pain in my fingers, my hand and my thumb and my shoulders alot quicker than I used to before. I have tried to loosen up before I start playing, and I've also been careful about the amount of pressure I put on the strings. I've tried to be light. But I always notice that after a part of a song my thumb region were I put the thumb half way down the neck, starts to hurt like Im pushing up agianst the neck with my hand.

Its just that cant seem to play the notes without pushing the thumb a little into the neck.

What could I be doing wrong?
I don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong. When you say you have pain in the fingers does it feel like they are sort of "burning" at the joints? If so that is normal but that is also a sign to stop because if not you can cause serious joint damage. (If this has already happened... don't worry you didn't kill your joints but overplaying over a long period of time can be harmful.) I know it'll be hard but try to take maybe a 1-3 day break from guitar or at least the more difficult stuff. If you HAVE to play just fiddle around with some chord progressions or write a song or something. Like I said, I really doubt you're doing anything wrong, just take it easy for a bit then tell me if the pain goes away or is minimized.
If it is your neck and shoulders, it is most likely your POSTURE when you play, which is very important. You're tense. Personally, I'd reccomend playing in the classical position, even if it's electric guitar (many shredders use this because it is very easy to reach all the notes in the high register and is very good posture, also very comfortable). It is also easier to make the move from sitting down playing to standing up playing. Your hand problem can also be traced down to posture if it is incorrect. If your guitar neck is parallel to the floor, your hand can get cramped, even if it is in the technically correct position. It can be complicated. You may THINK you're comfortable, but it's because you haven't learned to recognize discomfort yet I don't think.

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/left-hand-position/index.php
I reccomend reading anything you can on cyber fret, they have very good technique and playing advice.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
That sounds like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm. The nerves of the arm and hand actually originate further up in the brachial plexus (in the neck area). Sufficient tension and poor posture can impinge on these and you can end up with what's called referred pain - pain that is felt away from the site of the actual problem.

Regards,

Rob
Quote by ririzarry
That sounds like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm. The nerves of the arm and hand actually originate further up in the brachial plexus (in the neck area). Sufficient tension and poor posture can impinge on these and you can end up with what's called referred pain - pain that is felt away from the site of the actual problem.

Regards,

Rob

Man, I am never wrong it seems.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
just try different postures and stuff. i'm not a genius.. just try different things out til u are comfortable. that's what i did
So your saying that it could be my posture that is causing this pain and If i tried new positions that i could go away.

But could it be that I lack hand strenght and finger strength and need to build it up?
for the thumb part, i think you're lacking strength. i still remember when i was learning to play power chords, my thumb would hurt somehow. but eventually, i got rid of the pain