I have to do a major paper on it, and, despite the fact that I read and understood the book to the fullest extent, I've come to a mental block, thus making writing a paper on it a very arduous task.

So, if anyone could toss out a few good suggestions to the following prompts, I'd appreciate it greatly.

So far Im using:

"Analyze Fitzgerald's use of symbolism in The Great Gatsby. Pick one symbol and show how it adds to the storyand how it is important to the overall meaning and message to the story."

Now, I think the most prominent symbol in the book are the Eyes of TJ Eckleburg (That dude on the sign), and how they represent God. However, I need two more instances of the use of eyes as symbolism throughout the story.

Any help please?
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
I'd say the green light was the most prominent symbol, it represents all that Gatsby's been striving for, the American Dream, pretty much the main theme of the book.
What's a "book"?
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Quote by mister389
What's a "book"?

I believe it was an old wooden ship used in Civil War times.
I've just started reading it. It's the first book we've read in English class all year that I enjoy. I really like the narrator's voice.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by fenderfreak101
I believe it was an old wooden ship used in Civil War times.

oh...thanks!
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Definitely use the green light. The eyes are a good symbol... but what can you say besides "it represents God/consience and being watched over by it constantly."

The green light is the best... money, power, love... and most importantly... how the love he's striving for doesn't turn out to be as amazing as he had seen it in his mind.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
greeeeeen liiiiight.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
what school do you go to? it seems every school uses the same worksheets, and assignments for this book.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by rich2k4
what school do you go to? it seems every school uses the same worksheets, and assignments for this book.

I go to Neuqua Valley, in Naperville, IL
The green was intended by the author to show money.. I did a huge thing on this also in grade 12.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
I wasn't a big fan of this when I read it... but looking back it was a lot better than I give it credit for.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by Burtonjp
The green was intended by the author to show money.. I did a huge thing on this also in grade 12.

Could you post it/PM me it?

Im not gonna copy it or anything, I just would like other insights as to how to go about writing it.
Green light represented the yearning Gatsby had, his yearning for Daisy, his yearning to be successful. The green light was just across the bay, where Gatsby wanted to be.

The Valley of Ashes- where the dreams went to die. The ugly and 'real' side of society.

~stepco
i hated this book.
never knew what was going on till i saw the movie. lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Interesting factoid: I live in the geographic area where the Valley of Ashes would have been in the 1920s
Quote by Siftings
Interesting factoid: I live in the geographic area where the Valley of Ashes would have been in the 1920s

I bet traffic is a bitch huh.

~stepco
Quote by stepco12345
I bet traffic is a bitch huh.

~stepco

ba dum ching!
lol not really I guess. Its actually densely populated in some areas but other...not so much. I found some pics on google of the park

(Invalid img)

I found the weather aspect quite interesting.

Raining when negative and sunny when portraying the American dream and the positives of it all.
Terms and Conditions apply.