Hey everyone. Of course, I'm rather new to guitar, especially electrics. I just got my first electric a month ago and have restrung it twice since. Both times it's been strung and tuned, the strings still seem a little loose. Compared to my acoustic (which is some cheap First Act, still factory strung) whose strings are pretty tight, the electric seems way loose. It's actually pretty hard to play, especially very quick picking. It's tuned correctly, and as far as I know it's strung correctly. I have .09- .42's on it right now. Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance,
--Daed
this is an easy problem. Don't use .09-.42 sets for standard tuning unless your guitar is an extended scale. Second, Use heavier strings, like D'addario .11-.49 sets (or any other set of .11s.). i use them and they work great. third, look at the action (height of the strings from the neck.). If you think it seems high, go to a guitar shop and have them check/adjust the truss rod. But if the strings are just loose, not high, just use heavier gauge strings. Another possibility (if your guitar is a strat, or another guitar with similar string through body), is that your bridge springs (inside the panel on the middle of the back of the guitar) could be loose, shot, etc. Have someone check that IF, and ONLY IF the heavier strings don't work. .
I gave a lot of suggestions, but try the heavier strings first and foremost. Then look at other options.
Good luck with that, and Rock on.!
Well I imagine that it's just the transition period. They do feel a hell of a lot looser than acoustic strings... If you *really* want you could put like .10s or .11s on but I'd just stick with it. Especially since you haven't changed the strings onyour acoutsic, they will be old (so tight and nasty), bad strings, and a lot heavier guage. You'll get used to it.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by synpet713192
this is an easy problem. Don't use .09-.42 sets for standard tuning unless your guitar is an extended scale.

Excuse me Mr. Feb 07, but that is OPINION ONLY. Please do not post opinions like they are facts to someone new to electric guitar.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
The bridge does seem a little high. I'll lower that and see what happens, if not, I suppose I'll try some heavier gauge strings. Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone.
I used to use .015s on drop A and they felt fine.
Try .013s for E, they should be tight enough with great tone.

and I rofl'ed at J.MitMetallica's comment.