Alright, my Crate GT30 (i know it sucks) has an extenstion speaker outlet in the back.

It says "extension speaker: 4 ohm minimum".

I was thinking, what would it do if i hooked a 4x12 up to it? would it be just as loud as a 120w amp because of the 4 speakers and 30 watt power amp?

I know this is pretty stupid, but i've never dealt with stuff like this for the time i've been playing. And i have no idea how the wattage of a poweramp/head is split into a cab, so yeah...i just need it in simple terms, not the scientific stuff. I won't understand that too much either.

Thanks, if anyone helps.
It won't be 120w worth of sound. It will sound a fair bit louder and project better just because you're pushing more air though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
It'll still sound like crap.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Well, tbh. Solid state amps sound like crap at high volumes. I cant even get my cube 30 to 5 or 6 without losing my tone definition.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by dudey5691
but if it was at like full blast, it would still be as loud as a 30W...only sound better?

It should be noticably louder and better sounding depending on the cab, although "full blast" generally ain't so hot thru any solid state amp.

If you're looking to upgrade piecemeal, buying a cab that'll work with your combo until you can afford a head isn't a bad way to go. Otherwise, you might be wise just to get a better combo.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
It should be noticably louder and better sounding depending on the cab, although "full blast" generally ain't so hot thru any solid state amp.

If you're looking to upgrade piecemeal, buying a cab that'll work with your combo until you can afford a head isn't a bad way to go. Otherwise, you might be wise just to get a better combo.

But it'll need to be a 4ohm cab and most heads tend to use 8ohm to my knowledge.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
wait...say it was through a VOX AD15VT, that has a tube in the preamp. Would that sound any better at higher volumes?

or am i just still being stupid, and should just buy the Rocktron amp(it's ancient but is 175W, and it's line-out looks like the input for a mic) from Guitar Center?
Last edited by dudey5691 at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by dudey5691
wait...say it was through a VOX AD15VT, that has a tube in the preamp. Would that sound any better at higher volumes?

or am i just still being stupid, and should just buy the Rocktron amp from Guitar Center?

Ok the Vox has a preamp tube in the power amp stage but at the end of the day adding a cab will never change what the amp puts out, if it's a 15W amp that's all you'll ever get from it. The cab will push more air giving the amp a fuller sound and slightly louder to the ear but no matter what you do the signal from the amp will always be the same. And Vox hybrids are a lot closer to SS than tube, meaning they tend to sound worse when dimed, not better like an all tube amp will.
Quote by timi_hendrix
But it'll need to be a 4ohm cab and most heads tend to use 8ohm to my knowledge.

He'd have to be smart about it, buy himself the right item. Often cabs and heads will have a choice of ohm input/outputs. I can plug my Epi VJ into a 4, 8, or 16ohm cab.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.