im looking for a new guitar and my friend suggeted strats. i know that american strats are better but i was wondering if its worth paying more. i dont know much about them so i hope someone can help me.
if you've got enough money, go for an american, they are wonderful. if you dont have enough, then get a standard, then maybe mod it a little if you feel the need to. try them both out first.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
American all the way, I have one it is absolutely lovely.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Yeah they're both not bad actually. The standard is pretty good value for the money (just try playing them in stores to make sure they're built well and you like it), and the American is very high quality. If you do decide to get a standard, you can upgrade the pickups later and it'll sound almost as good as an American. It's really depends on your budget and your love for playing, so go into stores and check them out
Honestly, play both, you'll notice a differnece...well u should. And you wwill more than likely like the american strat, and i would save the money to get what you want instead of settling for somethnig less. But what type music do u like playing??
john t
I played the standard and the american HSS strats...the Standard sounded darker for some reason, I used same amp, same settings and everything.
Quote by ben123
im looking for a new guitar and my friend suggeted strats. i know that american strats are better but i was wondering if its worth paying more. i dont know much about them so i hope someone can help me.

I only got a Mexican strat because american made ones are too expensive, I personally couldn't really tell the difference in the sound between the two but I've only been playing for 6 months, I'd say if you're really talented and know what your shit then get an american strat
USA Fenders are definately worth the extra cash. Everything on them is just better than the MIM's and MIJ's; better pickups, woods, fret dressing, hardware, you name it.
i love my standard.
new pickups, new switches, new pots.
soon to come: clapton style mid boost active circuit.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
thanks for the help but i still cant decide. i want to save up buy the american but dont think i need a really need to pay that much for a guitar and i only have about 600-700 CAN
check craigslist and ebay. In my experience, craigslist is preferable because it's local. Also, keep an open mind. I was intent on getting a fender telecaster and ended up with my quilted maple top, solid alder, maple neck alvarez tele with a middle pickup. it's pretty and i like the sound much better than a standard, but I didn't even know alvarez made electrics before this.
I reckon my Mexican sounds better than any USA one I've heard.

^^ what's a "Clapton style mid boost active circuit"??
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Psssh my MIM beats out Americans by alot, I picked the best they had in the store got it pro set-up with 12's for $30 changed all the electronics with Acme Lindy Fralin Blues Specials kit with the volume cap that keeps your bass and treble when you lower volume, and a blender pot so you can mix the neck and bridge or all 3 together. Total cost of $800, and when taxes come in Im getting a Fret dressing.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I don't mean to be rude master plan, but I'm sure your MIM strat doesn't be out an American. An American strat is american, enough said. It's always going to be better than a MIM strat.
not again. this was done about 3 days ago.

^ not necessarily. Krank are made in america, aren't they?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like my MIM strat alot. I figure ill have it for a couple years to hold me over untill i feel I NEED an American Strat. I think the MIM plays like an absolute dream though. Just might not last as long as the American. I am thinking about going with an H S H American or HH.
Fender Strat Roland Ready Edition
Martin D-16GT Acoustic
Fender Cyber Twin Amp
Marshall G50R CD Amp
My Myspace Music
if you can afford it, get the american, if you can't, get the standard and if you still have some money, change the pickups
Quote by deluxity
if you can afford it, get the american, if you can't, get the standard and if you still have some money, change the pickups

You couldn't have said it better. I concur.
Quote by Ronisonce
I don't mean to be rude master plan, but I'm sure your MIM strat doesn't be out an American. An American strat is american, enough said. It's always going to be better than a MIM strat.

I doubt it will always be better especially if you talking about the American Standard Strat. Get a MIM Fender Strat and give it a Fret Dressing , Bone Nut, plus a Thin Nitro Refinish plus new pups and it will will beat out a American Standard anyday.

Unless your talking about a John English Cunetto Vintage Reliced Custom Shop strat with Abby Handwound Pickups, with a 9 1/2 radius and Medium Jumbo Fret Board.
That looks like this.

Well then your right.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by Ronisonce

no. my MIM has beat out a couple of americans, but my MIM is strangely well made.
Yea you have to Cherry Pick through all of the heap to find one that was crafted exceptionally well even if it takes you all day.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I'm not trying to start anything (this time) but I find it amusing to hear someone say that one guitar can "beat" out another, without a competent player behind it, even the very finest instrument might as well be a stick.

Go here and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra cash.
http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=30007

If you're interested, you might click here as well:
http://guitarstop.com/tour/indexT.htm

This is information passed along by a dealer who had the opportunity to tour Fender's manufacturing facilities in Ensenada and Corona. Read the WHOLE thing, it will answer some of your questions. I know it sure was enlightening to me.
Last edited by mrbreeze at Feb 12, 2007,
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Quote by Eric 666
I played the standard and the american HSS strats...the Standard sounded darker for some reason, I used same amp, same settings and everything.

maybe the standards you played had rosewood fretboard, but the american strats had maple fretboards? rosewood gives a darker, warmer tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by The Master Plan
Psssh my MIM beats out Americans by alot, I picked the best they had in the store got it pro set-up with 12's for $30 changed all the electronics with Acme Lindy Fralin Blues Specials kit with the volume cap that keeps your bass and treble when you lower volume, and a blender pot so you can mix the neck and bridge or all 3 together. Total cost of $800, and when taxes come in Im getting a Fret dressing.

You paid 800 for a Mexican Strat???
Psssh, you'll never get your money back no matter what kind of pickups are in it.
Quote by demea
You paid 800 for a Mexican Strat???
Psssh, you'll never get your money back no matter what kind of pickups are in it.

lol...No $800 for it all together including the Custom Hand Wound Pick-ups by Lindy Fralin Himself, and a Professional Set-up by a Local Guitar Tech...and I dont buy guitars to sell them...Im not a collector I buy guitars to play them....I thought thats what guitars were for...I guess not all people use them the same. The guitar was $400 by itself..
And that chart of the Differences is old they upgraded the MIM strats last year with Medium Jumbo Frets
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by GuitarNinja12
whats fret dressing?

Its when they check to see if all the frets are level and if not they fix that, guitars get out of level when you play them hard with lots of vibrato and such, as well as that they polish them and resize the nut.

And yes Stock MIM will probably never beat out a American Standard, but with upgrades it will.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by mrbreeze
I'm not trying to start anything (this time) but I find it amusing to hear someone say that one guitar can "beat" out another, without a competent player behind it, even the very finest instrument might as well be a stick.

Go here and decide for yourself if it's worth the extra cash.
http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=30007

If you're interested, you might click here as well:
http://guitarstop.com/tour/indexT.htm

This is information passed along by a dealer who had the opportunity to tour Fender's manufacturing facilities in Ensenada and Corona. Read the WHOLE thing, it will answer some of your questions. I know it sure was enlightening to me.

uhhh. theyre medium jumbo frets, and theyre routed H-S-H (MIM's). thats either wrong or not up to date.

and its also fender ping cast/sealed tuners...
i had the same problem as you dude. I didnt have enough money for a american but didnt know if a MIM was wworrrth it. i ended up getting a hitgghway one. You should check those out theyre better quality then MIM but cheaper and almost as good as MIA
Its logic really a MIA is designed to be better than a MIM... or they wouldnt sell any MIAs. Sometimes you may find a very good MIM that can outplay an MIA but its a rare occurence and theres also the fact that u can get a MIA that is built terribly in a few rare occurences. All guitars are different, also by the time you upgrade all the parts on a MIM to american specs your not that far off getting an american one and the american strats generally have better quality woods so you'd be wasting your time..
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
thanks for all of the advices. but unfortunatly i cant go look at the guitars for a bit the guitar shop near my house if closed for few days and i dont know if im ready to spent like 1000for a guitar so i tihnk i m gonna go with the MIM
Quote by ScottishAngus
Its logic really a MIA is designed to be better than a MIM... or they wouldnt sell any MIAs. Sometimes you may find a very good MIM that can outplay an MIA but its a rare occurence and theres also the fact that u can get a MIA that is built terribly in a few rare occurences. All guitars are different, also by the time you upgrade all the parts on a MIM to american specs your not that far off getting an american one and the american strats generally have better quality woods so you'd be wasting your time..

I agree, however that's more the case in the UK/Europe where upgrades are comparatively expensive. In the USA, upgrades are a lot less cash... but then so are the guitars too, I guess, lol. Eh, I dunno.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?