I've been playing for just over 2 years, and whilst I've dabbled in it, play uber fast hasn't really been my thing.

Infact, playing any kind of fast seems to be beyond me.

Although this seems to be primarily in my lead playing. I've been doing rhythm/vocals for the majority of time playing guitar (in the vein of James Hetfield), and so I can do pretty fast rhythm playing, although solos seem to elude me as to playing both fast and clean. I can do random fast solos in most scales that I know, but when it comes to the written tab, I find it incredibly hard.

Slow and melodic solos, no problem. Fast and unstructured improv, I can do, but to what avail? Fast power chords and rhythm sections ( aka Master of Puppets) I can do no problem, but now that I've taken more of an interest in fast solo playing, I want to be able to do it well. What exercises can you recommend and for how long/often should I do them before I see any real benefit with my soloing?
Funny words.
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD has a lot of great exercises to improve speed and alternate picking. that DVD really helped out my playing
^

I need to get that. Remember you can't run before you can walk, so practise slow and build up from there.
all guitarists who start off learning metallica stuff usually sound the same. try learning other bands and their solos to get out of the "pentatonic" addiction that metallica seems to spread to its listening guitar players. also, like rhcp93 said, john petrucci has an excellent dvd
Is there a vid up on youtube with petrucci's lessons? All i can find are those parody videos.

"...And I'm going to kill you...."
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Google has/had the whole thing in one video. I don't know if it's still up or not though...
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by SeanHart213
all guitarists who start off learning metallica stuff usually sound the same. try learning other bands and their solos to get out of the "pentatonic" addiction that metallica seems to spread to its listening guitar players. also, like rhcp93 said, john petrucci has an excellent dvd

I was using Metallica as an example, ie; my playing style is relatively similar to Jame Hetfield's, I can do fast and solid rhythm parts but usually stick to slower, more melodic solos. I take a lot more influences from a lot of different bands, but again that is usually all in the rhythm section of my playing, because I have very little to build upon where fast soloing comes in.
Funny words.
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos