Poll: Ibanez RG321 vs SA120
Poll Options
View poll results: Ibanez RG321 vs SA120
RG321
23 70%
SA120
10 30%
Voters: 33.
I am deciding on buying an Ibanez RG321 or SA120, but I want other peoples opinions on it. If you have ever owned one it would be great, no biased opinions please.

I will probably change the pickups when I get it to something else like EMG, dimarzio or seymour duncan.
They're quite different guitars, but both are good value for the money. For 24 frets and really thin, wonderful neck, go RG. For 22 frets, tremolo, really thin body and equally wonderful, but a little little thicker neck, go SA120. You can't really go wrong with either though IMHO, especially if you swap the pickups.
if your not gonna spend much cash on a guitar, avoid a trem. it will suck. get the rg321, you wont regret it.
Quote by cheames
if your not gonna spend much cash on a guitar, avoid a trem. it will suck. get the rg321, you wont regret it.
Actually, the SAT Pro seems quite good.

And I'd probably go with the SA120, because the trem seems pretty good, and i don't really think I'd make good use of 24 frets on guitar.
I play mostly Indie/Rock/Emo and one metal band. I hardly use the tremolo on my current guitar and I have never had to use more than my 21 frets on my current squier affinity strat 20th anniversiry editon
rg321. youve got those extras to work with, and it doesnt have a trem. so that could be a plus for PM'ing
yea, well I use that alot so that would be great. How does it benefit pm'ing without a tremolo?
Quote by dannyyy
yea, well I use that alot so that would be great. How does it benefit pm'ing without a tremolo?

it wont move, and IMO it just feels better.
Quote by Arlabester
rg321. youve got those extras to work with, and it doesnt have a trem. so that could be a plus for PM'ing

A guitar with a tremolo isnt that much harder to palm mute then one without. Its all preference. Do not buy a guitar based on that kinda decision.

They are both good axes its really up to you man you really dont need people on a guitar forum to decide for you. I'd pick the rg321 if it was me personally because i prefer 24 frets but i'd have the other willingly also.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
yeah, going to test both of them out in the shop, just wanted to know if there were any flaws on one, or if another has any advantages over the other.

I can see you are a fan of the RG's :P
^^^ thats why i said imo.

^^ im just presuming. but ive compared a hardtail (squier) to a trem (strat) the squier is easier to pm on.
=] Thanks. Any other guitars within the £200 price range (Around that) that are worth checking out?
Quote by dannyyy
=] Thanks. Any other guitars within the £200 price range (Around that) that are worth checking out?

a squier '51. its cheap. and could be pimped. or just a strat.
I got a Squier Strat Affinity 20th Anniversiry Edition, it plays very well, therefore I wouldn't wanna go for another squier as i want to upgrade, and also try a different make.
Having tried both guitars i prefer the rg. The neck feels more comfortable on the rg
(to me) as it is slightly wider and thinner and it's nice having the extra frets. The pickups are the worst part of both guitars imo, so if you're swapping them that isn't an isue. The only things i dislike about the rg is that the little screws that set the height of the bridge were protruding slightly so palm muting was a little uncomfortable, although this could be fixed with a setup. Also the metal hardware on the guitar tarnishes easily, which doesn't affect the playability of the guitar in any way, just that it looks worn quicker. The rg is heavier, as the sa guitars are very thin and light, but again i prefer heavier bodys. As far as the bridges go, the rg is more stable than the sa and will hold its tune slightly better, and will be better for downtuning, but obviously the sa has the advantage of a having a tremolo.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by dannyyy

Lag. IMO the £200 lags eat the cheaper ibanezes alive.

Though, watch the quality control (though you'd have to do that with ibanez at that price too)- I haven't personally noticed it, but some of the reviews in the mags have said the QC was dodgy.

EDIT: or if you can stretch to £240, gak are selling the yamaha aes620 for that. I'd look into that. or a pacifica (112 or better, you might get a 412 for £200).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm sure I played that Lag make at the shop I visited the other day, although there was a terrible selection. It was full of Squiers, Staggs, and other copy guitars. The only decent one was Gibson Les Paul Studio :P

Yeah the Yamaha aes620 looks ok, I will see if they have one in a different shop i will visit sometime next week.
I've got a 321, great little guitars for doing just about anything. and while ibanez has a rep for super thin neck ( can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like) the neck on this particular model i find is a bit thicker than what they usually use, which i find very comfortable.

Plus i the set bridge is pretty stable and the strings thru body help sustain and all that stuff.

And like someone said, the hardware tarnishes pretty darn quick. perhaps even more so if someone has different chemistry, but i'm thinking of replacing all of it with gold hardware from stewmac.com or maybe even allparts.com
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Hmm, yeah well as I said I would be replacing the pickups, so while I have it apart I may consider changing the hardware aswell. When you mean the hardware, do you just mean the volume controls and stuff, or even the machineheads etc?

What are the machineheads like on the rg321? Do they stay in tune and are they reliable?
Quote by dannyyy
I'm sure I played that Lag make at the shop I visited the other day, although there was a terrible selection. It was full of Squiers, Staggs, and other copy guitars. The only decent one was Gibson Les Paul Studio :P

Yeah the Yamaha aes620 looks ok, I will see if they have one in a different shop i will visit sometime next week.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want a JEM, but they are way out of my price range. After I have the guitar and a new pickup, I might save up for a JEM neck (if I get an Ibanez, which I probably will) and fit it on. The inlays look so good on it.