if i have a head an i can be 8 or 16 ohm and i have a cab that can be 8 or 16 ohm what one should i put it on?
Whatever one runs the cab in mono. My guess is those options on the cab will switch it from stereo to mono.
Quote by treagar
Whatever one runs the cab in mono. My guess is those options on the cab will switch it from stereo to mono.

Right on. The 16 ohm selection on your cab is, most likely, mono mode. The ohms on your head should be the same or less than the rating on your cab. So, with the cab at 16, set the head for 16 as well to match them up.

Whatever you do, do not run your head at 16 ohms with the cab at 8 ohms!
mmm
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by ZootCst

Whatever you do, do not run your head at 16 ohms with the cab at 8 ohms!

What would happen if you did that?
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
^It would damage the head or cab. I forget which. Either way it's bad because the head is sending too large a load for the cab.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
mmm

lol you changed your post, but yeah I was talking about the cab not the amp but it looks like you realised that.
yeah sorry i got confused
Quote by Qazxs
Quote by lbc_sublime
well i was gonna buy a amp that is stereo but what is bad bou it?

There's nothing wrong with a stereo amp. You just need to run it correctly.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
^It would damage the head or cab. I forget which. Either way it's bad because the head is sending too large a load for the cab.

Ohms are a way of measuring resistance. The head being set at 16 ohms means that the output is expecting 16 ohms of resistance. If the cab is set for 8 ohms the head will be overworking itself because it is only getting 1/2 the resistance it expects. This will eventually fry your head. If your head is set for 8 ohms and the cab at 16, the cab will be giving twice the resistance and you will just get less power per watt. Match them both at 16 and you're fine. As you add cabs things get a little more complicated, but just make sure your head is not set for more ohms than the total ohms of your cabs.