so, im bored, and i think i want to take off the frets of my squier strat.
but i dont know if it would mess up anything as far as playing
if i were to take them off, what would be underneath them? is there a ridge or an indentation where the frets were?
what would be the best way to take them off?
any help and guidiance would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
they glue the frets on, so i bet wehn you take them off there will be like some glue residue and you'll still be able to tell where the frets were. Also why would you even want to take them off, it'll sound the same or worse, anyways
thats alli know.
peace
you should heat the fret with a soldering iron and pull with pliers.
just be careful not to split the fretboard.
then, use wood filler or epoxy to fill the fret slots.
it wont mess up the guitar, but make it much harder to play, and a good experience.
you will also need to re-intonate.
^ You don't really need any intonation on a fretless theoretically speaking. I'd just leave the intonation as it is TBH.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
theres a slot where they've been pressed in. you'll probably need to readjust the action to play comfortably. the frets are glued in, but you can pull them out with pliers easily enough, though the fretboard may splinter a bit. i would recommend filling the slots with epoxy or strips of wood.

imo, i would leave the frets on. im finishing up refretting a guitar that someone butchered in attempting to pull the frets off. fretless guitars are not that useful.
^liar.
theyre very usefull and very fun, or why else would they make them?
playing a fretless will be very good for fingering too, as you have to be DEAD ON with one, or the intonation will be off, so it should increase your accuracy.
ok, so ive decided to do it...
but how?
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
well seriously now, they basically only have 1 sound to them, and they're really hard to play, it tears up your fretboard because of the strings grinding against them, its quite a bit of work even if everything goes perfectly, just because your guitar has no frets doesn't mean you will magically be able to shred, and seeing that you have a squire, its not going to make your guitar sound better, probably worse.

how long have you been playing it? is this just an effort to get a different sound?

i think you should seriously think about tearing a guitar apart because you're bored, it never has good results
Ok think about it. If you rip the frets out, your going to have to go with flat wound strings to save your fret board. They are a bit more expensive, but hey, if your willing to pay extra then go for it. But dont use a damn soldering iron and a pair of pliers. Thats stupid. Your bound to screw up that way. Use a heat gun instead. A soldering iron will roll off the fret wire and burn your fret board. Also soldering irons will put too much heat into the fret wires and can warp the wood around the wire. But I would also suggest buying the tool from Stewmac for actually removing fret wire. Its alot safer that way, and you risk alot less.

But dont fill the slots with epoxy. Its best to use another strip of wood to fill up the existing slots. It contrats better and fills the gaps better then epoxy.
its more common to do it to a bass, but he concept is the same. hit th bass section, and do a search for defretting a bass, im sure you will find a tuorial.

but take your time, and dont rush it, it will go faster if you do that
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!