Poll: Do you bargain on prices when you're at Guitarcenter??
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you bargain on prices when you're at Guitarcenter??
Yes
55 57%
No
9 9%
Never knew we could do that
32 33%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
Just wondering do any of y'all bargain for a cheaper price on your guitars when you're at guitar center? I never knew that until i was shopping for my electric and my guitar teacher told me we could do that because the guys at guitarcenter are on commission.
At the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Centre (Long & McQuade) I barter all the time. I'll even barter them on strings (which normally doesn't work). Don't expect them to take much off though (the most I've gotten taken off was $500, but that was because the guitar was damaged, didn't even buy it).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I got my faded double cutaway for 700 out the door instead of 770 + tax. They are pretty flexible with pricing and as long as you don't seem too desperate you should never have to pay the price on the tag at GC.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Yup, you can do that, unless the guitar in question is on sale.

My Flying V was worth $1000+, and it was on sale for $500. I didn't get a discount on that, to say the least.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I probably wouldn't bargain on anything less than maybe $30 because when I tried to bargain on cables that were like $20, the guy just looked at me weird.
I'd say the best deal I've witnessed was a Taylor 714ce (2800 at GC, 3800 retail) down to 2190 with a hardcase which i believe is standard but GC will try to sell to you. That was 2190 without tax after trade-in on a POS LTD guitar and a boss chromatic tuner pedal.
Quote by onemanarmy9
At the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Centre (Long & McQuade) I barter all the time. I'll even barter them on strings (which normally doesn't work). Don't expect them to take much off though (the most I've gotten taken off was $500, but that was because the guitar was damaged, didn't even buy it).

hey im renting a Traynor YCV50(fucking amazing amp) and im def gonna buy it once I get enough from work, its used and theres no footswitch with it, and I think the tubes might be a bit old, how would I go about bargaining, like how do you start off the convo? like I wanna buy this amp, take off $60?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Most music stores seem to be quite open to bargaining. The Schecter I put on layaway, they dropped from $399 to $380, and are also willing to drop on other extras too when I finally pick it up (case, straps, etc., etc., etc.).

Basically, if they know you're gonna want extras, they'll be more than willing to work with you on most, if not all the items.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^well put. As for how to do this, the classic "can you do any better" works nicely (here anyway), or you could go with the "can you throw this this and that in as well", or of course, "here's what I'm willing to pay for this, can we make it work".
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
^which L&M are you goin to? I live in oakville and go to the one in burlington(ontario)
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by onemanarmy9
^well put. As for how to do this, the classic "can you do any better" works nicely (here anyway), or you could go with the "can you throw this this and that in as well", or of course, "here's what I'm willing to pay for this, can we make it work".

you just listed all of my lines
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by giorgio1210
hey im renting a Traynor YCV50(fucking amazing amp) and im def gonna buy it once I get enough from work, its used and theres no footswitch with it, and I think the tubes might be a bit old, how would I go about bargaining, like how do you start off the convo? like I wanna buy this amp, take off $60?

Depends on where I go.

If I'm at a pawn shop:

Don't ever start off the conversation with what you're willing to pay. What I do is take what I'm willing to pay (for example, say I'd buy it for $25 less than what they have it showing as), then double it. They'll usually say they have to refer to their manager, check something, blah, blah, blah. The come up with a counter offer. If it's close to what I was willing to pay in the first place, I'll usually take that offer. If it isn't, then I'll counter offer again until it gets close to what I'd originally buy it for. A lot of times, they'll also work with you on the sales tax. I'll sometimes also drop the "Hmmm, that's not bad, but I could get a similar one brand new, for not much more..."

Guitar Center:

I try not to look too interested in what they're selling, ask a lot of questions and basically try to look like "I would buy it, if only it was a little cheaper." Then I usually go with "I would like to get it, but I was hoping to get some accessories with it. What could you do to help me out?" I let them make the offers and such.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i never really have but when i got my first guitar the guy threw in a new cable for me even though the guitar did come with one.
Quote by farcry
any day I can help a fellow UG'er with buttcrack issues is a good day to me. Which means today is excellent.

Quote by -February-Star-
That's wierd.

I woke up this morning and some bastard had wrapped his fucking swimming pool around my tree.
If you bargain with them, especially on guitars over $300, if you try hard enough you can probably convince them to take off $100 or so.
You can always bargain something. If it's too cheap to bargain on price ($200 guitar or something), then barter for a strap and a lead or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
My teacher is the manager at the one I go to and he lets his friends buy them at retail. Way cheaper. And during the clearance sale that was 70% off.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10 amp
Line 6 PodXT - Should've got the PodXT live
Click for charity.
Although I've never bartered for a new guitar (in March I'm getting a Mex Strat) I have bartered for many accessory type things. On the lower priced things (a capo, slide and strings) I just asked them if they could get the price down any lower and they were willing to do so. I also bought a nice Levy's leather strap another time and told the guy that I wanted the price down to $40 after tax(it was initially $50) he immediatly accepted which makes me think that I could have went lower with the price. Oh well it's all in the fun of bartering.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
To get an idea of how to deal with Guitar Center, try to trade in some gear first and be amazed how little $$$ they will try to give you for your stuff that you paid retail for.

After that shock, you will offer as little as possible for everything you will buy from that bull#$&% ripoff store.

They offered me $200 in trade for a near mint Highway 1 Strat a couple of years ago. Since then, every purchase I ever made (few) there have been totally at my convenience and have never paid near what they wanted.
a method i like to use is i scratch the guitar i am gonna buy on purpose then use it as a bargaining point
actually i have only done it once but it worked
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
I never once bought a hardcase or gigbag in my life. I always got them for free XD

Possibly the only B.C rich fan on UG
Wow, this bargaining thing really is news to me, so say I were to go into guitarcenter and look at some of the Gibson Les Pauls priced about $1,000+, how much should I ask for them to take off?
I never even thought about bargaining with them lol. To bad guitar center dosent carry what I want and I have to order it online
Large stores like GC and L&M have a lot more leeway to barter than they will let on. Most of the time, the price tag on the instrument is roughly double what the store paid for it. So on a $1000 guitar, they paid somewhere in the $500 range. That varies a bit between brand and items, but that's the general rule. These large stores go through a LOT of stock and get low, low prices for what they buy.

Small music stores will generally not get their stuff that cheap. And because they don't move as many units in a day as the large chain stores, they can't afford to give large discounts. Now many will bargain and stuff, but you won't get the stuff for as cheap. But chances are, you'll get better, more personalized service.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
For guitars and smaller stuff like pedals etc. Always say that you only have such and such amount and show them too(even if you have more on you) and they usually just give whatever you want to you for the amount of money you have.Just don't go back in the same day and buy something else.Another great line is - "I'll buy it tonight if you can throw this in and if you can do better on the price.
Managed to bargin a strap, stand, picks, a pack of strings and 2 extra tremelo springs with my last purchase. Also got a 20% discount on the guitar because of a holiday sale.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
i got my ibanez $50 off because it was the display, which was the last in stock
The Ibanez I bought was supposed to be $350.00 but I got it for $330 with a $60 case. Cuz I acted like I could care less if I got it and acted like I was going to leave twice.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
It kinda sucks for me in town since the guys at the music stores all know me. They know I've got money (at least enough to aford what I'd buy). And to what extent that goes rather suprised me.

Last year, I went into one store and bought my Boss Chorus and noise gate, as well as a Shure SM-57, strings, and some odds and ends. The guy scans all the stuff, bags it, and hands it over to me without asking for money...

With a confused look, I ask "So how much?"

Dude looks at the computer screen and says "$340 - I put it on your account."

With an even more confused look, I say "I have an account?"

"Of course," he replies. "You're Joe Gilker, right?"

"Yeah, but I never started an 'account'."

"Well, here it is, and it's set up as a preferred customer, so you also get a 15% discount. You have store credit for up to $5 000"

"Ummm.... ok... How about I just settle up today's bill...."

That was a rather dangerous moment, because there was one sexy white Gibson V hanging on the wall that I had a real hard-on for. Needless to say, I've avoided shopping at that store since then because of that temptatoin. It became even harder now. I went in there a couple of weeks ago, and they're now this city's first ESP dealer. They had a couple of NICE guitars that would have looked great hanging on my wall...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I haggled them down on a Jackson SLSLMG , special ordered, from the factory, from $949 to $649. They had a couple of old stock models with kinda messed up necks in colors I didn't like for $649 and figured what the hell, i'll give it a try. I just played the, "Sam Ash said they would do it", after going back and forward for about a week. After that, that's the only place I would buy anything large. Sam Ash wouldn't really do it, I just said that. Hell, Sam Ash won't even give you new strings with a guitar purchase for **** sake. That place sucks and is basically the Wal-Mart of music stores. Let alone the guys that work there are generally idiots.
Over here in the UK you can get an Gibson SG online for £800-£850 (around $1650-$1750, yeah, pretty expensive!!) but in most shops if you go in they're about £900-£1000 ($1850-$2050) so if you quote the online price (with evidence), you'll usually manage to cut it down about £50 ($100) or so. Les Pauls are about the same price online as in the shop though, and Fenders aren't a whole lot cheaper in the shops. Damn country's inflation!!! The price of guitars here is usually around 50% to 75% more than in the U.S., so you folks should count yourselves lucky!!
yesterday i got a boss supe overdrive for 50 when it was marked for 75 told the guy selling it i wished i could afford it but i only had 50 dolors and he said he could do that
i went in there to buy a new monster cable and strap and without asking they cut down the price almost half.........all you do is talk to them about anything
^You still got ripped off. They go for $40 online.(to clapton)
I'm hoping on talking down a prs se for $600 to $550 with a hard case, strings, picks, strap and straplocks. Is it possible?
i got £120 off of my hellraiser (thats $235 for you yanks)... sooo i was with my mum and i had £450? but is was £570 so it somthing like this..

store guy- thatl be £570 please
mum- well he cant have it then
store guy- why not?
mum- because he only has £450
store guy- well, do you want me to go see if i can sell it for you for £450
mum- well yea...

he came back 15 mins later and let us take it away £120 off with 2 packs of strings for making us wait 15 mins
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Attempt to bargain for everything you buy at a music store, Whats the worst that can happen, they will say no.

My favorite tactic is the cash in the pocket, it works wonders for more expensive items. You find the product you want, ask the salesman what their best price is, and when he tells you you say "well thats too much, I guess I will have to take my wad of $100's to another store", then you show him the cash. You will be amazed at how the salesman "best" price will drop to exactly how much cash you have.

Of coursre this requires that you research the price of the product and you know how much you are willing to spend on it in the first place, and you are willing to pay an appropriate amount for the item. You cant go in to buy a $1000 guitar with $300 in your pocket and expect it to work.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Page 1 of 2