i dont really hear many songs that are in 3/4 time. the only one that comes to my head is Death of an interior decorator by Death cab. just curious if anyone else can name some.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Jimi Hendrix-Manic Depression

It is not a common meter in popular music, thus, you don't hear it much.

Edit: No, 6/4 and 6/8 are not the same as 3/4. You can run a search for "compound meter" if you want to find out why.
Yeah, 3/4 is waltzes and classical. 6/8 is better, but that's just me.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
6/8 is 3/4 time with all the 8ths in triplets, I know. But they're similar. Some songs I play in band go in 6/8 to 4/4 to 3/4 and 2/4 in one song.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
6/4 means that there are 6 beats in the measure, and a quarter note equals one beat. 6/8 means there are 6 beats but an eith note is equal to one beat.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Quote by E V H 5150
6/8 is 3/4 time with all the 8ths in triplets, I know. But they're similar. Some songs I play in band go in 6/8 to 4/4 to 3/4 and 2/4 in one song.
6/8 is not 3/4 with triplets; that is 9/8. 6/8 is the sound where you have 3 notes to a beat.
I think "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" is 3/4.

There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact, it's all dark.

My last.fm

"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join"
Quote by caught22
6/4 means that there are 6 beats in the measure, and a quarter note equals one beat. 6/8 means there are 6 beats but an eith note is equal to one beat.

no, that is completly incorrect. there are 2 beats in 6/4 and the dotted half note gets the beat. there are also 2 beats in 6/8 but the dotted quarter note gets the beat. please look up compound time in the search if you want more information.
Quote by jof1029
no, that is completly incorrect. there are 2 beats in 6/4 and the dotted half note gets the beat. there are also 2 beats in 6/8 but the dotted quarter note gets the beat. please look up compound time in the search if you want more information.

thank god somebody said that before i freaked out...

and btw, caught22 , you spelled bodhisattva wrong
Quote by The_Yoki
I think "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" is 3/4.

It's common time with a shuffle. Or 12/8. Depends on how you look at it...
But to actually talk about the thread... 3/4 isn't used much in rock music because it can't have a backbeat, one of the defining characteristics of rock. It is used in prog music a little, or for a special effect in a song. A good example of this would be parts of Mama by My Chemical Romance.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by kevinw
anyone have a list of every possible compound time possible?
Such a list does not exist. That's like asking for a list of every number possible. I can give you some "common" ones.

6/8 (Triplets in 2/4)
12/8 (Triplets in 4/4)
9/8 (3/4)
15/8 (5/4)
6/4
Quote by E V H 5150
6/8 is 3/4 time with all the 8ths in triplets, I know.
Sorry, but this is simply not true. The 3/4 meter is felt in three. The 6/8 meter is felt in two. They're not similar and they're not related. In addition, 3/4 is simple time, 6/8 is compound time. This is foundational knowledge, guys. If you don't understand time signatures, please find a teacher who does and pay whatever they ask to teach you how they work. If you're looking for a free lesson, try this one
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.