Page 1 of 2
ok. i decided what i need to fix my problem is a transparent gain.

the only ones i can think of are:

BBE Boosta Grande
MXR Mini Amp

someone give me more suggestions, and other than that which one would work best.

(I'm using this to give me more bite for my solos with my tubescreamer i decided an EQ wasnt going to fix it)

for those who dont know, when i try to solo with my tubescreamer, i get no bite at all. i want bite, without treble, which is why i think it would work. but, if im wrong expain why.
Quote by Lynchworm
Take a look at the BBE Sonic Stomp

that reduces muddieness. that has nothing to do with boost.
ok this may be a stupid question but, are u using the tubescreamer on top of ure amp distort or just on its own?
Quote by Atreideslegend
ok this may be a stupid question but, are u using the tubescreamer on top of ure amp distort or just on its own?

usually distorted, but light distortion, only on 7, with my strat.
hmmm ok thats odd, with my peavey classic i get a shit load of bite from my treble pick-up when the tubescreamer goes on top and i only have the 808 mod on a ts9. I guess you've tried all the settings on the tubescreamer? Like, turning the drive up with the tone knob on zero? I also find that the more level u add the more bite u get, if u turn the post gain down on ure amp, u can push the pedal volume more and still retain the same volume during channel switch.
Quote by Atreideslegend
hmmm ok thats odd, with my peavey classic i get a shit load of bite from my treble pick-up when the tubescreamer goes on top and i only have the 808 mod on a ts9. I guess you've tried all the settings on the tubescreamer? Like, turning the drive up with the tone knob on zero? I also find that the more level u add the more bite u get, if u turn the post gain down on ure amp, u can push the pedal volume more and still retain the same volume during channel switch.

its a one channel amp. i just need a boost for solos. it doesnt have bite with any solo.
ahh i see ok well the only thing i can suggest is using the 808 "clean booster" setting, which is with the gain on 0 and the volume on max, then use then adjust the tone volume to suit, (i suggest about 5 or 6). If this still doesnt work for you, i guess you'll have to shell out for more pedals, i cant think of anymore im afraid
You should really just save for a higher gain amp in the first place the fender blues junior does exactly what it says on the tin tbh and wont do higher gain rock that well.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by Outside Octaves
*the noob arives*

What's "bite" in this case?

i assume he means attack, but without the highpitched ringing u get when u crank the treble, its more about the way the guitar sound reacts to your playing more than the actual tone itself, is that right???
i think you need to tighten up the eq. If you have too much mid in the mix, itll make the sound a lot looser. You might need an EQ pedal or you can re EQ your amp settings to have less mids, and when you add more gain/tone (with the tubescreamer) itll tighten up the tone and give it that 'bite' that youre looking for. I use a bluesdriver on my rig (vox ac30), and it really tightens things up, and has tons of bite.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by ScottishAngus
You should really just save for a higher gain amp in the first place the fender blues junior does exactly what it says on the tin tbh and wont do higher gain rock that well.

its ac/dc. its not hard rock. a blues junior is perfect for it. while you were gone, i switched to ac/dc.

i need attack on top of the current TS808, i dont mean TS808 on top of the amp.

^ the mid is down to 5 out of 12.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Pink sells a nice full-frequency boost pedal. I have one, does AC/DC great...That might be something to consider.

linky?
thats what the boosta grande does, for the exact same price. my mom will let me buy pedals online. but not guitars. and i dont get why.
well its not distortion, its that i need bite for my solos, on top of my TS808. get it? i dont need just a overdrive/distortion, kind of a boost for my overdrive, to give it bite.
Weird, it wasn't showing my reply on my PC - but ya got it anyway.
Uhh...models...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Black-Finger-Compressor-Pedal?sku=153325
^^Heard nothing but good stuff about this pedal. If you have the money to spare...try it out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-FX84-Milk-Box-Compressor-Pedal?sku=150059
^^Pretty good for the money. You can find em on eBay for like 30 bucks, sometimes.

Boss Makes one that's alright, as well.

Most pedals don't really have release settings - I guess it's more of a rack feature. S'okay, they're pretty much set to a good 'musical' setting.
i can NOT afford that EHX. plus id break it.

im looking for higher quality then the DOD around $100. thats why i still think a transparent gain is the best.
well i was thinking boosta grande. a higher quality gain pedal.

ill try a ts9 and a boss comp tomorrow at my guitar lesson.
i still dont have much of an answer. does anyone know what a transparent gain would sound like with a TS?
Awesome compressor is the Dan Armstrong Orange Crusher. This guy I work with sells them (he was an apprentice of Dan Armstrong and still continues to build pedals under his name), but I don't know if he's taking orders from new clients right now. If you could find one used, that would be great. He also makes a great clean boost called the KGB (Killer Guitar Boost). Again, you might want to look used. I don't know how'd they work in conjunction with a Tubescreamer, though. I don't own any overdrive pedals, per se.

You can check out some clips at www.vintagetoneproject.com and his pedals can sometimes be found on eBay.
Hi, I'm Peter
but thats the problem, i need bite not distortion, and im not sure an eq would do that. im confused.

wouldnt an eq just smooth everything out? and a compressor idt would add bite.
well bite is more attack from the notes, as in, for the back in black solo has that "scrape sound" like, it sounds vicious, but when i play it, it sounds just flat, and not like its attacking it at all. help? ( i mean not by adding gain, idk how to add more attack.)
Higher output pickups. Heavier strings. Thicker picks. Those are the only ways I can think of to increase attack. Also, less gain/more volume helps. If you can get it so that you're breaking up when you're picking really hard, that's the holy grail right there. A clean boost will help a bit, but it's more like a thickening up or gritty distortion.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Higher output pickups. Heavier strings. Thicker picks. Those are the only ways I can think of to increase attack. Also, less gain/more volume helps. If you can get it so that you're breaking up when you're picking really hard, that's the holy grail right there.

well its not that kind of stuff, because my ibanez has high output, but still no bite. i get bite on my metal muff, but i cant reach it on my TS808. god, i wish i could show you but i dont have a mic. it just sounds flat. my solos sound flat. i need more bite, attack and viciousness. its not treble either. i cant expain it very well, like angus sounds like hes attacking with his guitar, i cant get mine to sound like it.

think like this... less warmth, more crunch and bite. got it? even with his controls, i still get warm overdrive with the amp, then i punch in the TS808 for more treble, but still no bite.
Page 1 of 2