Hey all,

I've been playing for about a year (I have a teacher) and I use a Fender stratocaster. I'm becomming concerned about how uncomfortable it is when im playing. The tips of my fingers on my left hand are always very flakey and the skin is always peeling there. When I do string bends, it hurts alot. Am I doing something wrong or is it something to do with my guitar? The strings I use are Ernie ball hybrid slinky.

Thanks all
the flaking and peeling is normal, and you might want to use thinner strings and lower the action on your guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it's gonna happin, you just to keep on playin' until they get calused. pardon my spelling.
Gear:
Ibanez RG320QS(For Sale) 275 shipped w/HSC!
My EVH Strat(for sale or trade) 195 shipped!
Meanstreet EVH guitar
Marshall MG15CDR Prac. Amp(for sale or trade)65 shipped!
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
*Coming* Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack
Depends what kind of strings you're using if you're playing acoustic as well. Steel strings are always tougher.

But, string gage is important as well. Your strings could be too thick for you. By now, calluses should have formed on your fingertips (obviously, but that should have happened in the first week of playing!) but if your calluses are peeling off, that's just dead skin.

If you moisturized your hands + fingertips, that would help a lot for flakey skin.
Quote by JMO
it's gonna happin, you just to keep on playin' until they get calused. pardon my spelling.

they're already hard on the ends
ok then...take a rest damn it....I've been playing for about 2 years and the callouses hurt still...relax dude.
are you bending properly, if your only bending with one finger that may be the problem. try using 2-3 fingers to bend. and also the flaking is good. no pain, no gain
me too dude, it's just the circle of life, but with guitar
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Strat
Washburn BT-2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Crybaby
Digitech Hendrix Pedal (Multi-Effects)
Blues Driver
Tube Screamer TS-9
M-Audio Jam Lab
Digitech GNX4 Guitar workstation
Quote by HIM%(^
are you bending properly, if your only bending with one finger that may be the problem. try using 2-3 fingers to bend. and also the flaking is good. no pain, no gain

yeh i always use 2/3 fingers, and for some bends I even bring my thumb over the top of the neck to get that extra leverage.
Quote by XtAsY2007
they're already hard on the ends

You didn't mention that in any of your above posts. It's not his fault.
low action and lower string gauge should help but not completly get rid of the flaking. nothing really will it just kinda happens
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by Pacifica112J
You didn't mention that in any of your above posts. It's not his fault.

you misunderstand me, I wasn't actually faulting anyone. I was merely stating they're already hard which is why I'm kinda concerned they hurt so much, really sore sometimes.
When I used to bowl for a league, I used a "liquid bandage" to prevent blisters on my fingers. Would that be doable for guitar play?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
lower actions, smalled gauged strings...thats all and build up some caluses boy lol
check out my pickup thread?
UG's HIPPIE
my fingers use to bleed a lot, but it was actually due from my job at the time which was dishwashing (yay...) 8 hours exposed to hot water and sanitizing chemicals do a really hard toll on your skin as well as your guitar playing callouses. try some moisturizer to help your skin keep its integrity.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Dude, I've been playing for a long time. My fingers have callused calluses, and they still get sore from time to time. It sounds to me that either your playing for long periods of time without rest in between or your doing bends and such improperly. Ask your teacher to watch you and see what your doing wrong, or what he/she thinks.
Go rub your fingers on the pavement a lot that should toughen them up.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS