Okay, I have a confession to make. I'm a noob, and i suck at life.

Anyways, i recently bought a gibson les paul, and I've been debating with myself about weather or not i should return it. Reason? The action is way too high for my tastes, and when its lowered, the fretbuzz kicks in.

Now, I realize its probably because of poor fret-dressing on the factory's part or something like that. But i was just wondering if im demanding too much? I'm pretty sure i've played some 'pauls with lower action that were buzz free too, but i'm not so sure anymore. Anyways, I also have a strat with pretty low action and no fretbuzz problems. But i mean, the types of frets are different, right?

The thing is, i've always had the impression that the strats were harder to get as low action on as the les pauls from the strats and les pauls i've played in stores.

Am i wrong?

Coz if I am, I'm definately returning the les paul. I'd rather have one custom made with different frets and shit for lower action than have to bear the ridiculously high action of les pauls in general
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Take it into a shop to get set-up to you're specific needs witht he action, string gauge etc.
I've done so already. They had the best guitar technician in my town to look at it supposedly. And he couldn't do it, the bastard. I told them i wouldn't suffer ANY higher action whatsoever, and appearantly they couldn't do it. And the action is already too high for my tastes.. So yeah..
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Sounds like a lazy tech. You just need to get it set up properly. I took my Ibanez to my tech and told him what I wanted sorting (fret buzz 5-7th) and now it's a dream. You just need to find a decent tech.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Guitar-freak
Okay, I have a confession to make. I'm a noob, and i suck at life.

Anyways, i recently bought a gibson les paul, and I've been debating with myself about weather or not i should return it. Reason? The action is way too high for my tastes, and when its lowered, the fretbuzz kicks in.

Now, I realize its probably because of poor fret-dressing on the factory's part or something like that. But i was just wondering if im demanding too much? I'm pretty sure i've played some 'pauls with lower action that were buzz free too, but i'm not so sure anymore. Anyways, I also have a strat with pretty low action and no fretbuzz problems. But i mean, the types of frets are different, right?

The thing is, i've always had the impression that the strats were harder to get as low action on as the les pauls from the strats and les pauls i've played in stores.

Am i wrong?

Coz if I am, I'm definately returning the les paul. I'd rather have one custom made with different frets and shit for lower action than have to bear the ridiculously high action of les pauls in general

Action is nothing to do with the guitar, its to do with the setup of the guitar and how good the fretwork is (and the latter will change after playing it alot) tbh it sounds like your gibson needs a simple setup by a professional.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
you can get very low action on gibson les pauls
i have one and i have the lowest action i can possilbly get withouyt fretbuzz and have 11s
what gauge are u using
Quote by delicious
Just return it and get an ibanez.....btw i am saving for an ibanez and i hate les pauls

I like my ibanez a lot.. But Love my LP aswell.. What is it you hate about the LP?
But I agree with the 'Return it and get an Ibanez' part..
Gear:

Richwood LP Custom Black (with Gibson P490R & T Pu's)
Ibanez GRX 40 (with EMG's)

Hughes&Kettner Tour Reverb Head
London city 2x 12" cabinet
Check the frets, I think you just need to dress the frets a bit, get new frets altogether (and then file them to the right size), change the nut height, etc. Check for neck bow and warp.

My guitar, before I got it refretted (last December), didn't have the greatest action. I always left it low with no care for buzz. I brought it to Jim Mouradian of Boston (he's a local luthier), he refretted it for me. I got it back, he did everything to make that guitar perfect. Dressed the stringlock, raised the nut (to accommodate new fret height), filed all the frets, fixed the little neck bow, etc. I have the action extremely low right now, no buzz at all. I'm willing to bet your fretwork isn't that great.
My Gibson Les Pauls have the lowest action I've ever seen

They're Standard/Premium and were made somewhat to my specs though... Very expensive.
where does it buzz? what frets, what strings.

^and the guitar does matter. because some have better fret work than others.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It just needs a good set up. The neck needs to be straightened, the frets need to be leveled, the nut needs to be reslotted and it needs to be set up. This is common sense with any new guitar man, what are you doing with a Gibson if you don't even know this?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Temperature, humidity, and string tension variations can cause neck relief, even in brand new guitars. Capo at the first fret, then fret the last fret. Take a feeler gauge and measure the clearance between the string and the different frets (specifically the 12th). Adjust the truss rod accordingly and repeat the process. After you get it close to zero, set your action and intonation and see what happens. If there's still a problem, it's a poor fret job. It also helps to run thicker strings.