Page 1 of 2
Is religious discrimination as bad as racial discrimination? Many people look at racial discrimination as a lot worse than religious discrimination, why? What is the difference...? Everytime someone makes a picture or statement of making fun of black people, its "OMG RACIST BITCH DIE", but whenever someone makes fun of Jesus or w/e, everyone just laughs...

discuss.

(Invalid img)
Because everyone's seen a black person, but who's seen this Jesus guy?
ಥ_ಥ
Well religious discrimination is treating someone differently because of their beliefs, racial discrimination is treating someone different because of WHO THEY ACTUALLY ARE so therefore I think racial is worse.
Because Religion is just something you believe in, something that can easily be changed.

Your ethnicity on the other hand cannot.

Plus America just has a bunch of double standards.
Religion is a bunch of crazy made up stories that most likely didnt happen so people dont really care. Now slavery and such did happen so people are much more touchy about it.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
Quote by cfpt
both are terrible!!
lets leave it at that

Quote by cfpt
both are terrible!!
lets leave it at that

Was there a need for that?
What's worse, criticising someone because they believe there's a purple hippopotamus orbiting one of the moons of Saturn which is creator of all you see (which has just as much evidence as any other religion on Earth to support it i.e. none), or criticising someone because their skin has a bit more/less melanin than yours?
Race is more immediate. People also get pretty touchy about religion too, but not Christianity a lot, because in the west, Christians are in the majority.
Quote by cfpt
both are terrible!!
lets leave it at that

Yes

Quite terrible as I can see
ಥ_ಥ
people probably laugh because they are the ones who arent religious and believe its a load of such and such, or because they have good humor when it comes to that stuff
Religion is an idea where as race is a passive trait that cannot be altered?

I think that both are stupid though, it bothers me that some atheists (although maybe a vocal minority) consider themselves morally superior to all theists just because of their lack of belief. It bothers me equally when Christians state that all who do not belive in the divinity of Christ or some such idea will be punished eternally, though. (I am neither a Christian nor an athiest)
one is worse than the other (dependent upon circumstance) becaues one is a choice, usually, while the other is just your skin. Either way, they're boht funny.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by allalong
Religion is an idea where as race is a passive trait that cannot be altered?

I think that both are stupid though, it bothers me that some atheists (although maybe a vocal minority) consider themselves morally superior to all theists just because of their lack of belief. It bothers me equally when Christians state that all who do not belive in the divinity of Christ or some such idea will be punished eternally, though. (I am neither a Christian nor an athiest)

Unfortunately thats an inherent part of the Christian framework.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by meh!
one is worse than the other (dependent upon circumstance) becaues one is a choice, usually, while the other is just your skin. Either way, they're boht funny.

Its never funny when you're the victim.
Quote by S)E-Javelin
Its never funny when you're the victim.

What if you get assaulted by a clown?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Religous prejudice is a natural thing. As far as religion goes, if you believe god created us for whatever reason you believe, your gonna be ticked off when someone thinks differently. In a way, it's like on this very website, where people sometimes get offended for not liking the same type of music. I'm not promoting this type of discrimination, it's just the way it is. I also don't think you can call one discrimination worse than the other, they're all a form of hate, and that's the end of it.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Racism is so obvious, its like Your black, or your asian, your not gonna deny that

whereas.. ok this is gonna raise some controversy

religion isnt real, it's a belief, it's something quite obviously you have a choice over.

I think racism is worse, although nowadays it seems anti semitism against muslims seems to predominately be the problem
The thing is, some religious people are to the extreme and believe in it so much that they're willing to die for their belief, those are the ones who take religious discrimination much worse than racial. It all depends on point of views.
Racial discrimination is worse because you do not choose your race and because your religion shows your beliefs and such. Neither is good for society though.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by beastiebeatles
Racial discrimination is worse because you do not choose your race and because your religion shows your beliefs and such. Neither is good for society though.

But you're forgetting people who are born into a certain religious enviroment and are unable to get out of it, example: hindu people, not saying all of them but MOST of hindus born in India are raised to believe in that religion and by the time they're adults, its very very hard to convince them otherwise.
Quote by henza_x
I think racism is worse, although nowadays it seems anti semitism against muslims seems to predominately be the problem

Anti-semitism against Muslims? Surely you mean anti-semitism by Muslims?
Quote by JC13
That doesn't matter, Thats their choice to STAY hindu... Duh?

You have to realize, a religion isn't just a status. It's what you really believe in. Your not going to change just because someone makes fun of you or anything like that. It would be like someone randomly deciding they think the grass is blue.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by Robbie n strat

by?
what i see right now is that muslims are being made victimised by everyone, you walk on the street and see a towel head and ur suspiscious, why?
because the propaganda nowadays that they're spurting out is anti muslim,
i mean even the new season of 24 promotes it
Quote by henza_x
by?
what i see right now is that muslims are being made victimised by everyone, you walk on the street and see a towel head and ur suspiscious, why?
because the propaganda nowadays that they're spurting out is anti muslim,
i mean even the new season of 24 promotes it

anti-Semite [ˌanti ˈsiːmait, (American) ˌantai ˈsemait] noun
a person who hates Jews
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
ok so theres this black guy right?........ how many times do i hear that a day!!!! i think that racist jokes are funny as hell.... but when someone doggs on my JESUS "ITS GOIN DOWN"

Quote by Robbie n strat

I think he used the wrong word. He meant that many people instantly pass judgment on muslim people. Basically, that they are the butt of most Religous discrimination.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
I think he used the wrong word. He meant that many people instantly pass judgment on muslim people. Basically, that they are the butt of most Religous discrimination.

Not even close, even after 9/11, Jews were still the most discriminated race.
sorry antisemitism isnt the right word

anti-muslim is what i meant, when are they gonna come up witha word for that
Quote by Robbie n strat
What's worse, criticising someone because they believe there's a purple hippopotamus orbiting one of the moons of Saturn which is creator of all you see (which has just as much evidence as any other religion on Earth to support it i.e. none), or criticising someone because their skin has a bit more/less melanin than yours?

QFT
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
They're not going to change their belief just because you're talking shit about it, isn't that the same thing as not being able to change your skin color because someone is making fun of you for it?
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Racism is real.

One person's religion isn't real to another's.

But the fact is, the person who believes in their religion thinks its real, so theres two sides to it...
What we need is MORE religious discrimination. Read The End of Faith. Sam Harris is kind of an ass, but he makes good points.

There's too main ways in which religious discrimination is different from racial discrimination. Firstly, there's the whole choice thing. You pick your beliefs. If you're too dumb to be able to change your beliefs when given good reasons, then THAT SHOULD BE CRITICIZED TOO. Secondly, and more importantly, your beliefs actually effect what you do. Race has practically no effect on a person, beyond how they're perceived by others and how they perceive themselves. But differences in belief do legitimately translate into differences of action. What you believe genuinely effects how you act in the world, and because there's one particular R word for a particular set of beliefs, doesn't mean they should be free from criticism.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
How about not being an ass to anyone and just accepting people for what they are...pieces of shit. Why do we have to hate people for what they believe in or what they are? Don't hate them for WHO they are but for WHAT they do. It's dumbasses that think they need to prove why they're right that ruin the game of life for everyone. I really don't care about your beliefs on anything, because 1) they aren't going to affect mine and 2) it's a very obnoxious thing to do (unless of course I ask to hear your views)
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Last edited by Funkbass796 at Feb 11, 2007,
The argument that a person's beliefs don't effect you is flawed even were we not living in largely democratic countries. But the fact is, if you genuinely believe something, this effects how you act in the world. I shouldn't have to give examples, but think about it for a second. If you sincerely believe that the omnipotent creator of the universe told you to do something, you'll do it. If you sincerely believe Jesus is going to come down from the Heavens soon and save the righteous, you're not going to worry about the future of the environment. And most importantly, the beliefs of the electorate are translated into the effects of a government. It really does matter what people believe, and we should be able to deal with that in our society.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Page 1 of 2