Can anyone ID this guitar? It's a GTX make from the 80s. Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm. Headstock pictures? Serial Number?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Hmm. Headstock pictures? Serial Number?

Yea, that would help wouldn't it?

I can't provide those yet. When this arrives I'll post more photos.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
looks like a Carvin!!!!

It does, but the body shape and switch placements arn't right.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
the switches/ knowbs...body...they look like Carvin parts...cept the controls are in the wrong place.....
UG's HIPPIE
well i dont know much about it but from what i dug up it appears to be an
Ovation/Kaman GTX-33

a full pic of it that i found on baronaudio.com (and i think he is selling this one)

Ill see what my buddy who is a guitar historian has to say about it..
My Gear
------------------------------------------------
Hamer Tobacco Sunburst Archtop (SATF)
Slammer Special - SP1 - Black
Breedlove Atlas AC200/SM
Tech21 TradeMark 60
Dunlop Rotovibe
Quote by sys2matk
well i dont know much about it but from what i dug up it appears to be an
Ovation/Kaman GTX-33

Ill see what my buddy who is a guitar historian has to say about it..

Basically that's exactly what I got. Except it's a GTX-23. If I provide a serial number, might your buddy be able to tell me a production year? And provide me with info on the wood used?
Well from what he knows of it:

its made in Korea.
1 tone control, 1 volume control
separate controls for each pickup
2 single coil xk11 pickups
1 humbucker xk120 pickup.
Mahogany neck
rosewood fretboard.
Floyd rose replica -locking trem.
body is a kirk hammett replica

as for production year all he said was it was late 80's... if you get me the serial ill see if he can get more info on it..

whats funny is he asked if you were selling it, or did you just buy it for the vintageness (if thats a word).. lol either way he said that its a very sturdy and balanced guitar and is perfect for gigging, but he wouldnt play it just cause of its almost old..
My Gear
------------------------------------------------
Hamer Tobacco Sunburst Archtop (SATF)
Slammer Special - SP1 - Black
Breedlove Atlas AC200/SM
Tech21 TradeMark 60
Dunlop Rotovibe
Quote by sys2matk
Well from what he knows of it:

its made in Korea.
1 tone control, 1 volume control
separate controls for each pickup
2 single coil xk11 pickups
1 humbucker xk120 pickup.
Mahogany neck
rosewood fretboard.
Floyd rose replica -locking trem.
body is a kirk hammett replica

as for production year all he said was it was late 80's... if you get me the serial ill see if he can get more info on it..

whats funny is he asked if you were selling it, or did you just buy it for the vintageness (if thats a word).. lol either way he said that its a very sturdy and balanced guitar and is perfect for gigging, but he wouldnt play it just cause of its almost old..

Thanks for the information.

So I am revisiting this as I obtained a second GTX 23. This one has a transparent red finish. I did not receive all of the electronics on this one. It did not have individual on/off switches for each pickup. It has a cut-out for a typical 5-way toggle. Additional to the typical single tone and volume holes, it has a third smaller hole at the bottom of those two. I assume for a solo on/off switch. But what would this be wired for? Additionally, might you know what the body wood is?

The serial numbers for each of these are 572826 and 555859. If this gets me anything such as a production year, that would be super.

I bought each of these as easy repair projects. I really dug the marbled finish on the first and thought the transparent red was nice on the second. I might consider selling one (maybe both) if there was interest and the price was right - after they were repaired and put in working order. I am working out the list of parts for each right now. I intend a few minor upgrades for each, nothing spectacular.