I'm about 1 month new to playing electric guitar. I purchased a Fender Strat Pak along with a Zoom G1 guitar effects "machine(?)". I barely capable of scales and playing rythym using power chords (songs like iron man and rock you like a hurricane). what I am wanting to know is, is there a resource where I can research what type of guitar, amp and distortions some of my favorite artists are using so that I can at least attempt to make a simliar sound as them? i get a lot of flack at the local music store asking this question. i understand that i will not be able to play exactly like rudolf schenker but i can only assume i can play mostly like him. really all i'm looking for is to be able to get as close as possible to the "electronic" component of the sound.

any suggestions?

ps. i understand that gain and overdrive are the 2 controls i'm looking for to distort the sound, but at what levels? is this really all about experimentation? something tells me that people out there know the "settings" behind the sounds.
Quote by zenbudda
I'm about 1 month new to playing electric guitar. I purchased a Fender Strat Pak along with a Zoom G1 guitar effects "machine(?)". I barely capable of scales and playing rythym using power chords (songs like iron man and rock you like a hurricane). what I am wanting to know is, is there a resource where I can research what type of guitar, amp and distortions some of my favorite artists are using so that I can at least attempt to make a simliar sound as them? i get a lot of flack at the local music store asking this question. i understand that i will not be able to play exactly like rudolf schenker but i can only assume i can play mostly like him. really all i'm looking for is to be able to get as close as possible to the "electronic" component of the sound.

any suggestions?

ps. i understand that gain and overdrive are the 2 controls i'm looking for to distort the sound, but at what levels? is this really all about experimentation? something tells me that people out there know the "settings" behind the sounds.

pretty much.
other than the single coil vs humbucker conflict.
Quote by zenbudda

any suggestions?

search this forum. everything you need to know has been posted here many, many times!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
The best place to look first is www.guitargeek.com

The next place to look is google.com Search for whomever you want. Most unofficial fan sites (and even some official artist sites) will talk about the type of equipment the person used.

As far as what level of distortion you'll need, that all depends on personal taste, the guitar you're using, the amp you're playing with, what effects you may have, and the volume at which you can play. Nothing involving electric guitar tone is cut-and-dry, unfortunately.

If you have any more specific questions, ask away.
Hi, I'm Peter
worst thing about asking people near abouts were I live is that they say "youll never sound like that, tone comes from ur playing not your equipment etc"

i want to play like Kiko loureiro, and i looked him up on his fan page and he uses tagima guitars (u can buy them in australia!!!!!!!!!) uses italian custom built amps and has about 50 pedals he uses for different songs, im just like f**k that ill make my own tone, pretty much sucks compared to his but it kicks the ass out of alot of other local live acts

just experiment mainly, and wat u may hear is completly different then wat others hear, ive heard myself playing and it sound 2198435982365 times better then wat i percieve it to be,

anyways dont think i helped much but cheers man
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate