ok im hoping this is the right forum...

me and my band are soon going to be jamming with this bassist I know and he may join, were a metal band and we wanna know that hes serious about this and that he can play some metal what songs should we play with him and what stuff should we watch and see if he can do... if that maks no sesnse im sorry heres a simpler version im in a metal band and were gonna do some jamming with my bassist friend to see if he fits in with us what are some things we should watch out for to tell us wether he meshes with us?
LEAFS FOR CUP
Don't look for individual skill. Unless he is a superhuman bassist you need the bass to back up the guitar not the other way around. therefor you need to make sure, as you say, that he "mesh"s with you.

1. If he can instinctively play with any rythem you pull up then get him in the band.

2. If he can write rythem that your lead guitar can solo to easily then get him in the band.

It really is just a matter of playing with him. If when you are plying you get this inspiration from some bass line he is doing then it should be all green lights.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by Aussie Ghost
Don't look for individual skill. Unless he is a superhuman bassist you need the bass to back up the guitar not the other way around. therefor you need to make sure, as you say, that he "mesh"s with you.

1. If he can instinctively play with any rythem you pull up then get him in the band.

2. If he can write rythem that your lead guitar can solo to easily then get him in the band.

It really is just a matter of playing with him. If when you are plying you get this inspiration from some bass line he is doing then it should be all green lights.

and should he play same stuff as rhythm guitar??
LEAFS FOR CUP
Quote by csn00b
and should he play same stuff as rhythm guitar??

Only if you don't have a rythm guitarist.

edit: Or if he isn't that good.