I have a 6 month old desktop I am considering trading for a Gibson faded SG. The guitar is selling for $495 used and my computer & monitor cost me around $700.

I realize that computer value drops significantly each year and guitars values would increase.

If I trade, I would have to buy another computer.
meh, i was thinking about getting a faded SG.... they're pretty versatile, but depends on what you have now as your guitar / amp..... i probably wouldnt get one if you already have a decent guitar and amp..... possibly just get an epiphone g310 or 400? thats just my opinion though..... the faded SGs are fun guitars though, the brown one is pretty sexy, although they come with no finish on the wood and no neck binding...
I know what a Gibson SG is all about and it's a nice instrument for what it is. I just don't know whether it's worth trading my computer and monitor for it. Short term it's probably not such a good deal but long term it is in my opinion.
do it and get some pickups too?
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
The value of a guitar doesn't neccesarily inscrease, unless it becomes rare and everyone wants one. I mean yeah, you might have a 1742 First Act, doesn't mean it's worth anything now.

I wouldn't trade that much of a value computer for that guitar.
Quote by RPGoof
The value of a guitar doesn't neccesarily inscrease, unless it becomes rare and everyone wants one. I mean yeah, you might have a 1742 First Act, doesn't mean it's worth anything now.

I wouldn't trade that much of a value computer for that guitar.

Dude.... i have a 1739 First Act! What do you mean its not worth anything!? I've been holding that baby in mint condition for years!!! It sounds just as it came out of the box! Like shit!
Quote by Siciliano
I know what a Gibson SG is all about and it's a nice instrument for what it is. I just don't know whether it's worth trading my computer and monitor for it. Short term it's probably not such a good deal but long term it is in my opinion.

If you were going to trade a 6 month old PC for a guitar, you could get a much, much better deal.

If you want to, go for it. But I still think you're short changing yourself.

Quote by kaossurge
Dude.... i have a 1739 First Act! What do you mean its not worth anything!? I've been holding that baby in mint condition for years!!! It sounds just as it came out of the box! Like shit!

And your guitar may sound good and be in good condition, but that doesn't mean it's worth anything.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth.
Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 11, 2007,
Sunburst/ Rosewood 2006 American Fender Deluxe SSH & S-1
Fender Blues Jr.

I've always liked the SG though. I would mod the electronics if I trade.
Quote by kaossurge

this kid at school has one thats 8 years old from walmart.... he claims its been appraised at 800 dollars..... (i think he needs a second opinion- 100 increase a year? okay...) so if i take plywood/ balsa, make a body and throw on some yarn strings, it'll be worth 800 bucks in 8 years? sounds good to me

Quote by Siciliano
Fender Blues Jr.

hmmm.... thats a tough one..... thats what i was going to do is get a faded SG and mod it ( i love the look too except for the dot inlays)..... i guess its all your call becasue you have a decent guitar now and i dont know how much you use your computer
Quote by Siciliano
Fender Blues Jr.

Is that what you play right now? The American Strat?

Yes. I like guitars more than computers. The configuration of my computer can be bought today for around $399 or less. The flat monitor is what I would miss.
Last edited by Siciliano at Feb 11, 2007,
Quote by Siciliano

Yes!

Hell, I wouldn't even give the SG a second thought.

The Strat you play right now is far nicer than the Faded SG.

Have you decided what you're going to do?
i say keep the computer. that particular guitar's not worth it imo, i love those guitars, just i'd rather have the internet and my guitars i have now, if you have another computer in the house i'd trade, but not if it was my only one