I got my first guitar 3 years ago and I have been playing off and on since then. I consider myself only really palying about a year and a half. I've now recently wantred to start getting serious about playing, but im not sure where my skill level should be at for playing a year and a half. If anyone could give me an idea of what songs or solos i should be able to play for playing this amount of time that would be great.
i'd say you should be able to play stairway pretty thoroughly..... you could probably be able to play some easy to intermediate solos (comfortably numb and bohemian rhapsody possibly)... you should also know some scales and be decent with techniques like hammer-ons and pull offs..... thats just my opinion though, it all depends how you practice and what you practice.... there really is no benchmark where you have to be at a certain time, just go at your own pace, the above is just what i think but i could be wrong
Just look around for songs to learn and if you can play them that's alright. How long you have been playing has nothing to do with how good you are.
i've been playing almost a year and i can play the entirety of these songs:
-Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
-One
-Fade to Black by Metallica
-Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry
-Bleeding Mascara by Atreyu
-Dust in the Wind by Kansas
-Stairway to Heaven
-Babe I'm Gunna Leave You
-Since I've Been Lovin' You by Led Zeppelin

and a bunch more but those are probably the hardest

for solo's i know the above mentioned and a bunch of audioslave stuff, and the school of rock song which i think is by ac/dc

like he said it's not about how long you've been playing just how seriously you practice,

hope that helps a bittle
Last edited by seabass324 at Feb 11, 2007,
I can play hammer on and pull-offs easily and bends are not an issue either. I've attempted Comfortably Numb a couple times but usually just give up because it doesn't sound right when I play it. My guitar is a Epiphone Les Paul Special (I know its a beginner guitar, I'm saving up for a 60th Anniversary Fender) and the amp I'm using is a joke...So im thinking if maybe i get a better amp the sound may not be an issue.
It not only depends on how much you practice, but what styles and stuff you play. For instance, I know very few of the cliche songs (Stairway etc) because I just don't seem to find them entertaining; however, after about 9 months of constant daily practice I can play loads of RHCP, Audioslave, and Hendrix (working on Little Wing now). In short, don't bother trying to figure out where you "should be" in relation to anyone else.
Last edited by ameer at Feb 11, 2007,
Yeah, I generally never have a problem with the rythem part in songs but once I get to a solo, thats where trouble starts.
Alot of the stuff I end up palying is blues/rock. I'd like to start to learn some jazz guitar once I get a bit better.
take the solos on section by section,

and listen to the song a lot as you learn it , that helps you get the rhythm and bends and tempo etc.
i've got an old samic strat replica and a steinberger spirit and i play through two roland microcubes
Quote by ameer
It not only depends on how much you practice, but what styles and stuff you play. For instance, I know very few of the cliche songs (Stairway etc) because I just don't seem to find them entertaining; however, after about 9 months of constant daily practice I can play loads of RHCP, Audioslave, and Hendrix (working on Little Wing now). In short, don't bother trying to figure out where you "should be" in relation to anyone else.

Listen to him. ^^
Thanks. One more quesiton, do you guys take guitar lessons or have taken guitar lessons? I used to but the teacher I ahd only woukld tech me the beginning of a song and he wouldn't teach me any theroy.
Quote by Bodah
Thanks. One more quesiton, do you guys take guitar lessons or have taken guitar lessons? I used to but the teacher I ahd only woukld tech me the beginning of a song and he wouldn't teach me any theroy.

I've taken lessons. Best investment I ever made.

As far as the teacher not wanting to teach you something, here's my advice;

Find a new teacher. Fuck that incompetent boob.
i don't know any theory [as far as i know : ) ] and have never taken lessons ,. i just learned scales, chords, and songs to get better. me and my brother write songs together playing whatever sounds good ,. different chord progressions an whatnot , i've thought about taking one lesson just to see what i'd be taught.
here's my advice;

Find a new teacher. Fuck that incompetent boob.

Haha, thats some good advise!