Ok, I'll have a few hundred dollars after I sell some stuff on ebay, so I figured I would get a better guitar. I was looking at this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516634

It looks pretty cool (I like the look of the sg even though it is a knockoff) and it uses "hum bucker" pickups which my friend says are pretty good. Are ESP's cheaper guitars any good? I like to play metal stuff so my friend said to stay away from single coils. Can anyone maybe recommend a guitar in the 300 dollarish price range? Thanks,

-Loch
Agathis body =

EDIT - Look into Epiphones. Stay away form the Specials.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Stay away from the specials? Ok cool, I'll look in epiphones. Also, why does Agathis body = No? lol...
Ok i have an epiphone and its great and if u want a metal guitar get urself an sg or a fender strat i mean maiden used fenders and still use them and the sg is just bad ass looking if anything buy an epiphone i have an epi les paul with seymour duncan distortion pick up and dimebucker pick ups and it sounds awesome so if anything if u want a heavier sound get urself some pick ups to slap onto the new guitar too
Epi les paul custom Dimebuckers & Duncan Distortion
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Strat with Floyd Rose Tremolo 2 stock single coil & humbucker pups
Fender Chorus Amp
What the hell is wrong with that agathis bod? =/

I reccomend the Ibanez RG2EX1, my school has about 8 of them for guitar class, they feel and sound like a much more expensive guitar.

if you play metal DON'T get a strat, its too limiting. Take it from a strat owner.
lol whats wrong with metal and a strat i play metal on my strat and it sounds great
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
or look for a metallic blue i've seen one on ebay it looked awesome
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
Quote by lochikien
What about this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

Thanks for all the replies. I posted like 5 minutes ago and already have 7 replies. Pretty awesome.

Good for AC-DC tones, Angus Young used an SG. I'm not a fan of them personally though.

And to the poster promoting strats for metal:

Strats are mainly for blues and classic rock. Their clean twangy tones from their single pups and the warm blues sound from the HSS humbuckers are great, but they are flat-out not designed for metal. If you want to play hardcore metal for the range this guy is talking about, you almost definitely want an Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, ESP, etc, NOT a strat. Got it? Its that simple.
Oh another thing loch

In my opinion, if you have the moneh, heres the metal guitar order.

100-400$=Ibanez
400-700$=ESP
700-900$=Schecter
900$+=Jackson

Thats my opinion of course, but different companies shine in different price ranges, and this is the way I see it.
Quote by Noob_Cakes12
or look for a metallic blue i've seen one on ebay it looked awesome

'

I played a MIM HH stratocaster and i was amazed, excellent lead tones through the Fender FM 212 that my friend bought from that store. I didnt really play some hardcore riffs or anything, but i assume the Fender Humbuckers would pull it off? or am i wrong?

EDIT: oh yah i forgot it was mettalic blue, they had a red one their too. All the MIM fenders were 800$ canadian money
Quote by Tedward
'

I played a MIM HH stratocaster and i was amazed, excellent lead tones through the Fender FM 212 that my friend bought from that store. I didnt really play some hardcore riffs or anything, but i assume the Fender Humbuckers would pull it off? or am i wrong?

EDIT: oh yah i forgot it was mettalic blue, they had a red one their too. All the MIM fenders were 800$ canadian money

why would you want Fender humbuckers when you could have Ibanez, ESP, or schecter? =/
Quote by JDawg4098
Good for AC-DC tones, Angus Young used an SG. I'm not a fan of them personally though.

not really. the SG can handle pretty much anything you want to play. SG means standard guitar.
sorry mate. read a book with gibson's history in it. SG was the first gibson to be produced in a solid peice of wood - Solid Guitar. standard - yeah i gues it is, but not what it stands for. btw the EPI sg is a sick guitar for almost everything with a guitar part in it
Cheaper esp/ltd's aren't that good. I suggest you look into epiphones and fenders in that area. You can always get used gear too, just makes it the better!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I own an Epiphone SG-400, it's a good guitar but it's pretty heavy and not well balanced as the neck slips when not supported. It does have a good sound though and you can get quite a low action on it too.
"What's wrong with the agathis body?"

1. It's one step up from plywood.
2. It's not good for metal.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by JDawg4098
Oh another thing loch

In my opinion, if you have the moneh, heres the metal guitar order.

100-400$=Ibanez
400-700$=ESP
700-900$=Schecter
900$+=Jackson

Thats my opinion of course, but different companies shine in different price ranges, and this is the way I see it.
wow for jackson try 200 buddy
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
"What's wrong with the agathis body?"

1. It's one step up from plywood.
2. It's not good for metal.

1. Agathis is a hardwood, just like mahogany, alder, and basswood, etc.
2. It's a dark sounding wood, so it's perfect for metal.

Just be quiet, and stop giving bad advice.
Well since this is most likely his first guitar, I doubt he needs a high-end Schecter or ESP, I'd say let him go for it, if he decides to quit, he won't have spent so much, if he doesn't then he can upgrade.
Right now it's between the Ibanez RG2EX1 and the Epiphone SG-400. I found some SG-400s being sold on ebay but couldn't find the Ibanez... Guess it depends on if I can get a good deal on the sg-400 or not. Oh, one last question, Are the pickups on the Ibanez or SG-400 better? Thanks for all the replies and stuff,

-Loch
My band mate has the G-400, it's great for metal. I cant comment on the ibanez but their good for shredding on. One the epiphone the pickups are O.K, but i'd replace them with some higher quality ones (try seymour duncan, bare knuckle and others that people will suggest). AFAIK the body is made of mahogany and (my friends) doesn't have that much sustain, but it's fantastic on the highs. I'd give my reccomendation for the Epiphone but I dont know much about the ibanez, so cant comment there.
Quote by Pacifica112J
1. Agathis is a hardwood, just like mahogany, alder, and basswood, etc.
2. It's a dark sounding wood, so it's perfect for metal.

Just be quiet, and stop giving bad advice.

Great advice Pacifica112, spot on.

Agathis is not a bad wood, it is just accociated with the cheapest of the low end guitars and is perfectly ok, all of the LTD's with Agathis bodies sound quite nice.