So i have some problems when it comes to playing off the top of my head. My guitar teacher and i were playing a basic 12 bar blues shuffle pattern, and when a break came up i was to solo. However, i found my playing to be quite linear, really only going up and down the minor pentatonic. now i have no problem with the minor pentatonic, but it really just seems whenever i jam, all it sounds like im doing is playing up and down the strings. id like to incorporate more string skipping really. anyone have advice on how to improve my jam skills or some sites with lessons? thanks in advance.
Skip over certain frets. bend the strings, go slow, then go fast, basically anything that you can do to change things up. Find out how the minor pentatonic relates to the major and minor scales and add some of those notes. Anything that you can do to change the pattern. Try adding chords, and their tones. Most Important: Don't play licks exclusively.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control

Make sure you try your new stuff when you are practicing. The jam session is not the time to screw around.

That's from Derek Trucks, not me.
Quote by woodenbandman
Don't play licks exclusively.

But obviously, learn some and use them.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums