How do you create a smooth, almost unfinished feel with paint on a neck? I want to paint the neck black but not have it gloss. Do you use a specific satin lacquer? Or can you coat it with several coats of gloss lacquer and then on the final sanding, leave it rather flat? What is the proper way of doing it? I'll be using duplicolor paints btw. Thanks.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
I think you can get a satin clear coat or just use regular clear and wet sand it or use really fine grit sandpaper
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
seal the neck (sanding sealant) and then rub tung oil into it. that easy.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
you can take and scuff the paint up with a 220 grit paper, then smooth it out with some scotchbrite, or you can just use some finer sandpaper, like something around a 400 or so. though, nothing you do to a painted neck is going to make it feel like a unfinished neck, you can only hope to get close
i know it'll never be exactly like an unfinished neck, i just want it real smooth and matte, black to be specific.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
Quote by TheChallenged
i know it'll never be exactly like an unfinished neck, i just want it real smooth and matte, black to be specific.

spray paint the neck black. Sand the black paint. After that go over the black with a satin finish paint. Wet sand and you should be done.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by GnGonzalesjoe
spray paint the neck black. Sand the black paint. After that go over the black with a satin finish paint. Wet sand and you should be done.

yes, and also keep in mind that you dont want it glass smooth, thats what makes pained finishes feel sticky in the first place, you want to keep it semi rough, just not too rough, its a bit of a balance really, too rough and your neck gets too slow, too smooth and your neck gets sticky