First and foremost I'd like to say hello to all of you. I'm new here and I'm also picking up my first guitar next month. Now, what I need some assistance of is pretty much some opinions on the equipment I plan on getting. So let me explain some things:

I plan on playing rock. All kinds. Evanescence, Trapt, Metallica, As I lay Dying, and even some Michael Jackson songs (Give In To Me ) and eveything in between.

I plan on purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul guitar along with this amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

Right now, I'm just looking for a decent amount of quality for a decent price. I learned how to read tabs today and I'm looking forward to playing, but here are my questions:

1) Is the guitar a good choice? Will it fit the music I want?
2) What about the amp?
3) I'm not sure about petals. I know they alter the sound, but are they necessary? What EXACTLY do they do?
4) I don't know anything about different kinds of strings either. I know with drum heads, I had to replace right away after I got my kit, are guitars that way with strings? Can better strings improve sound?

I apologize for so many questions and I'm not even sure if this belongs here, but for any who can assist me I'll be extremely grateful. Thank you.
Yes it will! But I must say, are you just starting out or are you dedicated enough to spend alot of money on your gear--price range?

You need a decent amp to enjoy your guitar and tone man.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The guitar is a good choice. But the amp, not so much. In that range you can do better, in my opinion. Have you checked out the Vox Valvetronix or the Roland Cube series? Theyre in the same price range and the quality of the sounds are much better.

As far as pedals go, you shouldnt need them. The amps listed are modeling amps - basically they have effects and all that stuff built in so you dont need to run any pedals with it.

And its always a good idea to get new strings on a brand new guitar. The strings that come on new guitars (most anyways) are really crappy.
Well, I didn't plan on going crazy with the price. I figured I'd need a decent amp to enjoy my guitar and from the reviews people gave it was good for the price so I thought it'd be good for me. But if I'm mistaken, please, educate me
No I haven't, I'm kind of in the dark here because I'm learning everything on my own and I only know about actual guitars, not so much the equipment behind them. But I'll have to check them out if they're better.
Yeah dude, reviews on say Musician's Friend are never trustworthy. And never trust a salesman. lol Trust me, Im a salesman at a music shop...

But definitely give the Roland Cube series a look see. Theyre the best for rock/metal in their range.
I just checked out both the Vox and Roland Cube series' that you asked me to and they're both above the price of the item I displayed( ) except for this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

I imagine that's better than the one I posted. So far, it seems I'll be getting that one, unless someone recommends something slighty more expensive but will help my quality much more for little extra cash.
Trust me, the Spiders are not good. They get good reviews because beginners who don't know better buy them, and when you make your first purchase you think it's amazing, even if most anyone else will tell you it's not. It won't take you long to realize that they sound like sterile processed garbage. I agree with Kurt, in that price range look at a Vox Valvetronix for almost any style, like rock, or if you mostly play metal look for a Roland Cube.

Which specific Les Paul are you referring to? Epiphone makes some nice guitars, but they're really cheap ones aren't great; which is to be expected with any brand, I suppose, and they're as good a choice as any.

Quote by kurdtkobaign
Im a salesman at a music shop...
Hey yeah, I've been wondering, do your employers force you to sell garbage, or are the majority of salespeople just stupid?...
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 11, 2007,
Best seller and the reviews on musicians don't really mean anything. Look at spiders and MG's, they're top selling but they're seriously not that good.

But the guitar IS good, go check it out! As Andy said, don't rely on musicians friend, they have a bad rep. Go to a store instead .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by De Amazing Blob

Hey yeah, I've been wondering, do your employers force you to sell garbage, or are the majority of salespeople just stupid?...

No employer forces a salesman to sell a certain thing...mine doesnt anyways. Most salesman are just trying to make a sale...more so if theyre on commission.

So basically, yes, most salespeople are just stupid...and Im mainly aiming that at Guitar Center employees. Most local shops have a couple guys that really know whats up.

My whole 'strategy' for selling something is to just figure out whats best for the person and try to make them see it from my point of view. I cant tell ya how many times Ive convinced a kid to buy a good combo over a POS halfstack. Or how many times Ive sold a kid a Cube over the MG...etc.
Nice, a Standard, you'll definitely be happy with that. Most beginners start on garbage, but that one should last you a good while. But then again, are you sure you want an LP? It's a good guitar, but there are other options out there.
Quote by Phoenix322
I planned on getting this guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

It has tons of reviews and it's a "best seller" (looks damn sexy) and from what I've read great price for the quality, but as a fellow above stated, it's apparently not wise to listen to them Which means I'll be here alot lol

You cant really go wrong with that one. Good bang for the buck, in my opinion. Later on down the road maybe you can swap the pickups out for better ones which make it sound tons better. A couple buddies of mine have the same guitar and its definitely an above average beginning axe.
I started on a Squier strat pack . My friend was all like, "DOOD, THATS THE SAME GUTIAR ERIC CLAPTON USED!!!11!".

I'm so glad I took it apart and threw it away...actually, I think I still have the neck .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I cant tell ya how many times Ive convinced a kid to buy a good combo over a POS halfstack. Or how many times Ive sold a kid a Cube over the MG...etc.
Ah, good man
^

@ Jinskee

Oh, and another thing to keep in mind in this forum is: DONT LISTEN TO ALL THE RETARDS SAYING "Get an all tube amp!" Because theyre retarded. lol

Theres a "Who to listen to" thread up top with a list of users who know a lot about gear...so maybe check that out.
I should be one of them. I wouldn't mind giving new members here false information .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
1. That Les Paul is good for your styles. They have humbuckers, which are known for having a heavier tone than say, the singlecoil pickup that are on Strats usually.
2 and 3. The Roland Cube is definitely better than the Spider is tonewise, although I have only played the Spider III a few times (I owned the Spider 2, but I dont know if there is a big difference in them), and Im only going by videos and sound clips for the Roland. Pedals make different sounds and effects depending on what kind. Distortion pedals can give you more overdrive or gain, reverb gives you an echo sound, delay takes the note you play, and repeats it. Uhh... I cant think of how to describe all the different ones. The big difference is on the Roland, there arent any effects, and on the Line 6, there are. If you think you are going to be using them, you might want to check out the Line 6, or get the bigger version of the Roland cube, because they have effects that will sound better than the Spiders, and although youll probably be spending a little more, you wont have to waste money on basic effects, and it will be louder so it will be easier for you to jam with other guitarists and drummers, because you will be able to play louder than them for the most part.
4. Strings can definately improve the tone of your guitar. If you play with rusted or old, greasy strings, the tone will sound dull, and if you play with new strings, they will sound very bright for the first few days, then start to get a little duller to the point where they sound 'normal'.

Good luck, and I hope I helped a little bit!
Last edited by thetoastinator at Feb 11, 2007,
About pickups, what do they do exactly? And what do you recommend I get? About getting an LP, what other things would you recommend and why? Thanks for all the imput guys!
I would tell you, but Andy would get mad at me like last time .

ps. They're basically the soul of the guitar, vibrations from hitting the string send the vibrartion to the pick ups which send em to the amp, to your ear, etc.

I reccomend checking out seymour duncans or bare knuckle pick ups if you have the money.!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Pickups pick up the sound of the strings (who'da thunk it?) magnetically, and produce a very small output which it sends across the cable to the amplifier, where it's amplified. Basically without them, an electric guitar would be a block of wood with strings
Ah ok. So now, If I'm reading this correctly, the Roland amps don't have the effects like Vox and Spider, so then would I have to buy a pedal then?
roland 30 does, 15 doesn't.

Pedals don't work as well with solid state amps. The effects on the cube 30 are great!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
You really don't need pedals unless you think you need the effects; the only pedal I have is a 7-band equalizer, and I don't really feel the need to get any more at the moment. Effects are fun to mess around with, but for the most part not really that important. And yeah, with SS modeling amps your effects would sound kind of dull, so if you want them definitely get a Roland 30. It'll be nice to have some of the extra volume as well for jamming; neither would be enough for a real band or live situation, though.
What's your price limit again?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Well, I REALLY wanted to get the blue LP but if I get a black one it'll be $100 cheaper, in which I really don't wanna go much higher than $650 total.
Aye, well, you have a store near you that sells these stuff right? Maybe you can talk them down to get a blue one. A guitars feel and sound is good and all, but you don't want to play something you hate looking at, eh?

btw, black les pauls are sexy . But it's your choice,!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^Exactly, my first guitar was maroon with chrome hardware, which was nice, but it had zebra pickups that clashed horribly and it just pissed me off when I looked at it... It really bugged me. The black one doesn't look bad, but if you have the money and it's really worth it to you, go for the blue.
I agree that your choice of guitar is probably a little high end for a total beginner (good for you!), but that your amp choice sucks.

Here's my recommendation: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_vox_da5_portable_amplifier?full_sku=482065%2e001

It's a little more money than the Spider, but it's a better sounding amp. It's loaded with amp models and effects, which is great when first starting out. Rather than asking about effects, you'll have them to play with and figure out on your own.

Plus, this little guy is a battery-powered and completely portable, so when the time comes to get an amp more worthy of your guitar, you'll still have plenty of uses for this little thing taking it on trips or to the park to pick up chicks (why else learn the guitar?). The 15W amp you're looking at is a little more powerful than this one, but still not powerful enough to jam with a bass and drums. When you upgrade, that amp'll be useless. May as well get a smaller, portable, better sounding amp that'll always have a purpose.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
No problem!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Geesh, I got another question guys. I see that there are different kinds of thickness when it comes to picks....is it just a preference or does matter in terms of sound? As as always, recommendations? Also, should I invest in a tuner? I planned on getting one.
Last edited by Phoenix322 at Feb 12, 2007,
Tuners are pretty much a must unless you have one built into your amp. As for picks, they are mainly preference, so my advice is to just try out a lot of different ones until you find ones that will work for you. You also might change your preference of thickness later on. I started out using picks that were extremely thin, like .10mm and now Im using 2.0mm picks. And about the amp, you can get the Roland Microcube for $25 more than the cube 15. It has effects, and is also battery powered. The only con is that it is smaller than the others, so it wont be as loud.