Could somebody tell me how to make slap bass sound better? Whenever i do it, it sounds real different than what i've heard.
practice?

Your probably hitting the other strings too or not hitting it hard enough.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
ya practice. i practice the technique at school just on a desk or somethign slap and pop over and over
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
ya practice. i practice the technique at school just on a desk or somethign slap and pop over and over

I thought I was the only who did that.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
no man, best way to spend those waste of time classes like math
I shot JR

Quote by Woogles
I thought I was the only who did that.

i do it too! turn your mids up and smack the string with the joint of your thumb quickly, don't keep your thumb on the string
make sure your hitting the string and pulling away rather quickly

that and scoop the mids...scoop the mids...SCOOOP THE ****ING MIDS!

sorry about that...so many damn threads about slap bass sound (im a perpetrator too)

and as the old saying is

practice practice practice....till your bleeding
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
^^^ yeah, you need to get a bit of a bounce in your slapping action. If you don't mute the other string(s) it can interfear with the sound as well. Also, if the action is not right it can affect it, but the most important words i have seeN here are:
practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice
Remember that what you hear on records comes from the best equipment so not to sound exactly like it is to be expected. i dont slap alot but i beleive exciters are good for slap, also a good compressor will help. but that is assumed you technique is good...
I slap and pop on the desks too

Basically what everyone else has said, you can't expect it to sound the same as a CD because they use the best equipment there is, not to mention they can edit the sound, ensure you're only hitting the one string and that you're moving your thumb fast enough. You'll get it in time, and you'll find it much easier.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
For the best slap tone:

* Perfect technique
* New Strings
* Turn up highs, lows, scoop out some mids
* Good rig
Last edited by Applehead at Feb 12, 2007,
i've got everything but the good rig
I shot JR

A good classic slap sound is alsoa good punk sound.

just so you know.

And also, not all slap sounds like the stuff you may hear there. Infact I prefer more of a highermid range with alot of my highs cut out and my lower mids at about even. For more of a darker crunchy sound.
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Feb 12, 2007,
^^^applehead hath spoken

ALL SHALL OBEY!!!!

nah just playing
but do listen to applehead
he can pwn you at bass

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

I've been working on slap as well, and my sound appears different as well, even compared to local people that play slap bass. Not trying to imply anything, but my strings tend to give a sound like in Primus's "Too Many Puppies" or "John The Fisherman," as opposed to other slap sounds.
The problem is, what is a "good" slap tone? Good doesnt mean anything, it's an arbitrary, subjective term. Good to me is not good to you. So really, you have to play around until you find something that you like. We can give you guidelines, but thats all really bro
^ick

im more of a fan of the Primus antipop era slap sound (laquerhead especially
)

Quote by Fast_Bear
^
"Good" as more than likely referenced in this thread means the "Sienfeld" tone.

Well as far as i know that wasnt played on a bass, so dont use that as a reference. It's also been engineered and mastered, compressed etc...
Mess around with settings on your bass and amp too, some basses sound alot darker than say, something that the Chili Peppers would use.