Okay, for some reason Strats make my fretting wrist hurt bad! I have a Les Paul as well, and I never have this much pain in my wrist with it.(I have Carpal Tunnel) I can't even play it for more than a minute without my wrist turning red and hurting, and I can play my Les Paul all day. Would there be any reason for this happening? Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks in advance!
Maybe the shape of the neck? I find my Strat comfortable, It's a Mex Standard model. I have a Les Paul too and no problems there. With your wrist problem, maybe you might need to chnge to something with a different neck profile. Or since, a Strat has a bolt neck, you could change necks.
Do you play both of them at the same height?
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
strat bodies are thinner than les pauls, which makes you have to anchor your wrist more when holding it. try playing standing up and see if that helps
You should probably learn how to play without anchoring your picking hand, and raise the height since you have carpal tunnel in the first place.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
How would anchoring hurt his fretting hand? try playing a little higher and don't press as hard.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
I'm playing both sitting down, but the neck would be still be higher on the strat, and remember this is my fretting hand which is hurting, not picking. And yeah, I don't anchor, I even took the pickguard off the LP so I wouldn't be tempted to anchor. I think it has to do with the shape of the neck as well, because at first I thought it was because Les Pauls are shorter scale, but even on the higher frets it hurts.
Not trying to be funny, but, are you going to have something done to correct the Carpal Tunnel?
Quote by fireman464
Not trying to be funny, but, are you going to have something done to correct the Carpal Tunnel?

Well, I've already had multiple visits with the doctor, and they put me through physical therapy for a month. After that they said come back if it starts bothering you any more. I guess eventually I'll have surgery, I just hate to keep going to the the doctor, just more pressure on my parents, because I used to go to the doctor a lot. I think I can deal with it a little longer.
Gibsons tend to have a bit wider of a neck profile then Strats. Your probably wrapping your hand around the neck of your strat instead of holding your thumb on the back of the neck, like you should. By this I mean your probably anchoring your thumb over the top of the neck on your strat causing your wrist to roll into akward positions. You can do that with out even noticing.

Maybe try playing some guitar with flatter wore wide necks and try to make sure you keep your thumb in the center of the back of the neck. I too had some wrist pains when I started but once I corrected my thumb placement It completely went away. Hope that helps.
I also beleive that if you change your thumb position you won't have to bend your wrist as much. I had the same problem, only the doctor diagnosed mine as arthritis.
If you're right handed, do you play with your guitar on left or right knee? Try playing on your left, like with classical guitar. Also, don't hang your thumb over the top of the fretboard, like previously suggested.

However, it may be that you find thicker necks more comfortable. My Strat's neck is thinner than my SG, but I prefer the feel of my SG. I have huge hands, though, so...
Quote by Rebirah
Okay, for some reason Strats make my fretting wrist hurt bad! I have a Les Paul as well, and I never have this much pain in my wrist with it.(I have Carpal Tunnel) I can't even play it for more than a minute without my wrist turning red and hurting, and I can play my Les Paul all day. Would there be any reason for this happening? Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks in advance!

i have the same problem when playing a burns 12-string. it's because the neck is too wide and not thick enough most likely, as fenders also have fairly wide/thin necks, it took me a while to get used to them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Also consider the fretboard radius. Gibson almost always uses an 11" fretboard radius on the Les Paul whereas Fender has gone as low as 7" on production Strats before. The higher the number, the flatter the fretboard. Flatter fretboards tend to stress the fingers, whereas more convex ones tend to stress the wrist. I doubt this would be all of the problem, but it may be a contributing factor if your Strat has less than an 11" fretboard radius.
Neck shape and size.

Blammo whammo.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Rebirah
I'm playing both sitting down, but the neck would be still be higher on the strat, and remember this is my fretting hand which is hurting, not picking. And yeah, I don't anchor, I even took the pickguard off the LP so I wouldn't be tempted to anchor. I think it has to do with the shape of the neck as well, because at first I thought it was because Les Pauls are shorter scale, but even on the higher frets it hurts.

Maybe the intonation is off on your strat. Are the strings nice and low?
Quote by CustomCustom
^^Radius makes it harder to chord and bend notes on a strat than a flatter Ibanez style.

Easier to chord, harder to bend.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.