im trying to stop using simple progressions for songs using basic chords and those chords in barre chord form. i was wondering how i can incorperate diminshed and augmented chords in my chord progressions
I got bats in belfry
I'm in the kitchen boiling society
I'm in the open catching all the leaves
We all sing what we want

please crit
eyes on the wall
Well it all depends on whether it's a major or minor key, and you use chords that are of a certain degree. Like, a diminished seventh would exist in a major key, and an augmented third would exist in the key of a harmonic minor.
well than what chords would exsit in a pentatonic minor
I got bats in belfry
I'm in the kitchen boiling society
I'm in the open catching all the leaves
We all sing what we want

please crit
eyes on the wall
Well, unlike major and minor chords, you can't just throw in diminished and augmented chords and expect it to sound good. They both have very specific purposes and are most commonly found in jazz, so unless you're playing jazz, i suggest to take it easy with the pair of them so as not to overdo it and make your song sound like garbage.

They're not very tricky to make, but they're very tricky to integrate into your song, so be careful. Sometimes though you'll find that it adds a certain spice and flair to your music, which is always welcome.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by mfiore
well than what chords would exsit in a pentatonic minor

In a natural minor key, the second degree would be diminished. If it's harmonic, you could also use an augmented third and a diminished seventh.
In a natural minor key, the second degree would be diminished. If it's harmonic, you could also use an augmented third and a diminished seventh.

The second degree of a minor key isn't dimished, the third is. If it's a harmonic minor then the seventh is augmented, not diminished, and the third is diminished, not augmented. You got the two backwards.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Ace88
The second degree of a minor key isn't dimished, the third is. If it's a harmonic minor then the seventh is augmented, not diminished, and the third is diminished, not augmented. You got the two backwards.
No...

Natural Minor: m d M m m M M

Harmonic Minor: m d A m M M d

Melodic Minor: m m A M M d d
Yes....

say you have your A Minor scale. To make it harmonic you have to augment the 7th, which in this case is the G. So you'd be playing A, B, C, D, E, F, G# A.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Don't just used more complex chords for the sake of using more complex chords. Use them to outline your melody.
Quote by Ace88
Yes....

say you have your A Minor scale. To make it harmonic you have to augment the 7th, which in this case is the G. So you'd be playing A, B, C, D, E, F, G# A.
A sharped note isn't augmented - it's sharped.

The only things that can be augmented or diminished are triads/chords. You can't have an "augmented note".
A sharped note isn't augmented - it's sharped.

The only things that can be augmented or diminished are triads/chords. You can't have an "augmented note".

Ugh whatever dude you know what i meant.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Ace88
Ugh whatever dude you know what i meant.
Well, this whole thread is about chords, not notes...