i could have sworn i posted this earlier, but anyways

This guy is selling a fender strat for only $80 bucks. i'm a little hesitant because the picture shows the strat with a truss rod cover like LPs have. I've NEVER seen this before on a strat. Is this one super vintage or something or just fake? these are the pictures he posted:

the headstock doesn't look like a fender headstock

the letters look pretty cheap

and the trus rod cover is really weird(maybe he installed it or something)

i think it's fake
fake
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
I can't say if it real or not but it is not a bad looking guitar if it sounds good you can't beat $80...
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
looks like a pretty shitty strat anyway, the fretboard is changing colour, why would you want this for 800?
The headstock and neck joint appear a little suspect. Also I have never seen a Fender with a bound neck either. I would personally say fake.
The paint job blows on that thing... look at where the headstock meets the neck in the last picture...
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
It's probably a fake, but hey for $80, unless its just complete shite.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
That looks more chinese than a chin...in a phone...book....

I suck at these jokes .
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I wouldn't get it, most strats tend to have 'stratocaster' ritten after Fender, and seeing that this one dosen't have the chrome colored letters, I wouldn't go for it.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
If it sounds good I'd buy it and lie to everyone saying that it was my grandfather's old Fender Custom Shop instrument.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
play it though, and if it sounds good then get it, thats all that matters really, otherwise your just paying for the name.
i think its fake..
the headstock's curves arnt the same..and the trus rod cover is wierd..
and it looks like it has a gibson neck on it with a pretty bad strat head stock..
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

some guy today was all like, " ahah dude likez OMG you wanna see ma HUGE SAUSAGGE??? likez ZOMG its tEH biggest EVER! " And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
Well the truss rod cover could have been aftermarket. I wouldnt worry too much about it, as I would the rest of it. After looking closer at the posted pics, the headstock joint on the neck seems a bit wierd. The neck is a bit wide for a Fender.

Plus, and this is a HUGE PLUS, its plywood. That right there is a true indication that its fake.
It appears to have a plastic trim on the edges of the fretboard. Thats usually something found on higher end Gibsons. But from the way the body is a laminate, I would say its an incredibly cheap knock off of two companies (Fender and Gibson).
oh, i knew what bound meant, for some reason i kept on thinking it had something to do with the connection of the neck and the body. I wasn't gonna buy this one anyways because usually when things are too good to be true, they are.
OK, yeah, check for bodies being laminates. If its a laminate then its a shitty guitar. You can tell, on that one especially, because you can see the layers inside the trem cavitiy and on the back contour.
Quote by ericgentz
I wouldn't get it, most strats tend to have 'stratocaster' ritten after Fender, and seeing that this one dosen't have the chrome colored letters, I wouldn't go for it.

50's and 60's fenders have the brand name in black

if it's fake but sounds good, there's no problem

maybe new paint and new hardware could make the guitar 10 times better