i have ageneral idea but i dont know exactly so... What exactly is the difference between a rif and a lick?
Riff is all single notes; not chords. As for a lick.... something that is short and sounds good?
riffs are like, "ba dah chicka chicka. ba da chicka chicka." Licks are more," wah, wah, wa ah uh, wa ah uh, wa ah uh."

as far as I know, they're the same thing.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
A riff is something thats played throughout a song and a lick is just something that is thrown in because it sounds good and to break it up a bit
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
tell 'em you have ebola. if they ask any questions, start bleeding out of your nipples.
as far as i thought, licks refer to lead phrases, and riffs to rythm
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by civildp1
riffs are like, "ba dah chicka chicka. ba da chicka chicka." Licks are more," wah, wah, wa ah uh, wa ah uh, wa ah uh."

Best description ever.
as stated before, riffs are phases that are repeated throughout the song, and licks are short bursts to give the song variation etc, usually only played maybe once.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by Hammy
as stated before, riffs are phases that are repeated throughout the song, and licks are short bursts to give the song variation etc, usually only played maybe once.

In other words, a lick is just a fill.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.