so far i have every type of pickup in the brdige position, except for a p-90. im the only guitarist in my band, so i basically am lead. i was wondering if a p-90 would be good for searing AC/DC leads. anyone know? whatever this is, itll prolly be this idc if you guys think its ugly, i like it. so does anyone know if it would work for that? id have both pickups selected, as to kill the hum. any ideas?

also dont say "this is a PoS, get this one!" im settled for this one.
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 11, 2007,
errr...isn't the point of a humbucker by itself to cancel the hum?
Yeah, P-90's have a decent tone if they are good. Go for it. IMO, P-90s are great for just avout everything.
ya p-90's have a very different but cool sound. should work for what your after. what kinda amp are ya using? and again if you cant get the sound outta the stock p-90's (heard most sx guitars need a pickup change) check out some at guitarfetish.com cheap price but from what i hear great quality and tones.
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Quote by Owned
errr...isn't the point of a humbucker by itself to cancel the hum?

p-90=single coil

im a big fan of the p90 tone. im just not sure if it is good for AC/DC, it is right?

^ i was gonna do that anyway. i play a blues junior and a TS808

and dirk, srry to hear about your mom.
Yeah. I played a Fender Aerodyne Tele with a P-90 in the neck, and I could easily get those classic rock tones out of it. I just lack a guitar with them in it at home. I think you just possessed me to go buy some.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Yeah. I played a Fender Aerodyne Tele with a P-90 in the neck, and I could easily get those classic rock tones out of it. I just lack a guitar with them in it at home. I think you just possessed me to go buy some.

good! i love p-90's, i just never got a hold of one. i want a strat with p-90s
Thats probably what I'll be putting a set into. I have a strat that I have been trying to find the time to mod again. But I may also slap one in the neck of my Tele.
P-90s are great - Tony Iommi's original SG was outfitted with them, I believe.

I don't know how good they would be for AC/DC stuff - AC/DC is pretty tight and punchy, and in my experience P-90s are more spongy sounding.
no
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Thats probably what I'll be putting a set into. I have a strat that I have been trying to find the time to mod again. But I may also slap one in the neck of my Tele.

lucky son of a bitch.

im not sure if they would work either. thats why im asking. but if tony iommi used em, why the hell wouldnt they work for ac/dc?
P-90's are great, but my friend has that guitar and it's probably one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever played.
Quote by MastaBassist10
P-90's are great, but my friend has that guitar and it's probably one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever played.

what? even the stop tail? how can it be? alder, p-90s, rosewood fretboard, maple neck... how? what other cheap p-90 guitar could you recommend? it also got a good review in guitar player.

nvm. that guitar blows chunks. any other cheap suggestions?
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 12, 2007,
Angus Young owns several Gibson SG Juniors with P90's. It'll do AC/DC fine. However...
There are better guitars equipped with P-90's...though. Probably guitars with better stock P-90's, as well. I haven't heard much good things about stock Rondo pickups...An Alder body would be a bit bright for AC/DC. Maybe check out a LP or SG Jr...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Angus Young owns several Gibson SG Juniors with P90's. It'll do AC/DC fine. However...
There are better guitars equipped with P-90's...though. Probably guitars with better stock P-90's, as well. I haven't heard much good things about stock Rondo pickups...An Alder body would be a bit bright for AC/DC. Maybe check out a LP or SG Jr...

check the name under my name.

idk what to get then, i have max $400. thats with working my ass off, and spending all my money for my b-day (which btw is in FREAKIN JULY)

so, $400, bright wood and p-90s!

(PS: i like bright wood for AC/DC, i like the extra bite it gives it, exuse the fact i have literally no solo bite)
thought you were set on the sjm??? what changed your mind? i seen clips of it on youtube before and it sounded decent. have ya seen those yet? if not just search sx guitar. think it would make for a good base all ya gotta add is new tuners and pickups and should have a solid guitar
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/
They have bunches of good guitars that are affordable, and have P-90's. Check out the Hi-Flyer, the P-90 Special, SideJack DLX, Stormbird, Hummingbird and Sidejack STD. These guitars just look damn cool, I love their Mosrite tributes here - because Mosrite is just classic.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't care if you're anti-Gibson, there are LP and SG- Jr clones that aren't Gibson...
Why bright wood?

me like bright wood.

what would be a decent copy for around $450? remember, bright wood, this is a lead guitar. (i use my ibanez almost excluisivly for rythem)

ill check those clips out. i heard the neck was fat, i like thin necks so... and the frets were poorly dressed.
I got a faded les paul double cutaway a few months ago after totally falling in love with the p-90 sound and it has a great rock and roll tone. Too bad your "anti-Gibson" though, IMO Gibson makes the best p-90 guitars. I've been wanting to try one of these out and its in your price range so it might be something to look at. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-II-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=519584
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i think she would spazz out if i asked, even if i had the money right now. the whole WTF! YOU HAVE 3 GUITARS! thing. they dont understand tone differences.
Theres also Agile LPs wit P90s. Maybe check them out?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Sendrith
Theres also Agile LPs wit P90s. Maybe check them out?

lps bug me. i only like the allen lps, cos theyre shaved down.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Psh, I don't know anything about Waterford. Is it a bad neighborhood?
Maybe to go fishing in one of the lakes there?

idk. i think its just by detrioit.
what were those lp copies you were talkin about? i can always order in a guitar. (it has to be from a decently large, well known brand.)
....Epiphone used to make P-90 ones I think. But I think that's still Gibson, to you.
Here's a Gibson LP Junior:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=517341

I've seen some P-90 equipped Epi Les Pauls in shops and stuff (This great goldtop one in San Diego...), but I wouldn't know where to find them for you online.
thats not much help. maybe i can get my parents to let me get a p90 special. i want one. i like the p90 LP's. the double cut ones that is.