Whenever I'm practicing, and then I start to play some excersise or something that involves fast picking or steady downpicking, i get this really bad strain on my right shoulder and it hurts a lot, and sometimes it reaches up to the right side of my neck.

I just want to know if it happens to any of you guys, or if I'm doing something wrong.
You've gotta be doing something wrong if you're getting shoulder pains. Slow down and try to pin down where there's tension while you play, and get rid of it.
your not fat, are you? cuz i know this fat kid that gets tired and sweaty when he plays the intro to master of puppets
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
no i really dont think it happens to any of us but just loosen up man let your wrist do the work not your shoulder more than half of it is in the wrist
^
You seem tense baby... (bow chicka wow wow), focus on relaxing the muscles that are hurting, it is wrist movement, you aren't swinging a bat.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Feb 12, 2007,
wait, so you ARE supposed to allow your wrist to bend? or should you keep it straight at all times?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Shredder Guitar
your not fat, are you? cuz i know this fat kid that gets tired and sweaty when he plays the intro to master of puppets

omg I just had the image in my head
For the most part, picking should come from your wrist not your shoulder. IF you look like your trying to bench press the pick then your doing it wrong. Try anchoring your wrist on the bridge and picking that way. That also makes it easier to transfer from picking to palm mutes by just applying different pressure of your picking hand.
Actually, try not to anchor your hand. Use your wrist to pick, not your fingers or your arm. If something starts to hurt, then STOP. You could develop a repetitive strain injury or carpel tunnel syndrome or something else that will mess you up. You might want to consider refraining from playing for a little bit so your shoulder doesn't hurt anymore.

Get a teacher to help you with your technique. It's always better to have someone see you in RL and help you than just a forum.
banjo1735, where'd u get ur avatar? lol

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Check out a video of Rusty Cooley or Paul Gilbert. They have impeccable picking technique.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

no i'm not fat, i'm in pretty good shape actually. I don't get sweaty when i play songs in my room.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

can you post a video, please