For a school music exam thingo, i would prefer it to be rock/classic rock (no zep though)

i was going to do money(pinkfloyd) but someone else is doing it, nothing easy but nothing too hard

"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
DELETED...Cause it was off topic
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Last edited by X_Op3th_X at Feb 12, 2007,
because i'm listening to them right now actually....

Shism- Tool
Know Your Enemy - Rage against the machine.

fairly simple, well known (kind of) aaaand.

show them you can play chords and still keep a rocking bass line during a screaming solo.

too bad about Money.
i love that song.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
does it have to be a recorded song?

otherwise i say just improv some slap or make a tight grove with a little extra "pizzazz" thrown in. You know, stuff to show off technique like artificial harmonics, hammer ons, pull offs, harmonic slides, trills, key changes.....

it'll probably net you a higher grade than just learning a random song from a tab
Quote by Applehead
Will it be with a backing track? solo? what?

What about Muscle Museum - Muse?

if i can i find one, i would prefer to use a backing track (keeping in time) and i like to think im intermediete i might be low intermediete though and ill check out the Muse song

does it have to be a recorded song?

otherwise i say just improv some slap or make a tight grove with a little extra "pizzazz" thrown in. You know, stuff to show off technique like artificial harmonics, hammer ons, pull offs, harmonic slides, trills, key changes.....

it'll probably net you a higher grade than just learning a random song from a tab

im a bit slow at improv, i dont think that would be a good idea
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
^ I have a lot of Muse tracks with NO bass in them. If you want one, let me know. I have muscle musem, hysteria amongst others....

let me know
i didnt mean to improv it on the spot, but have a basic progression and melody in mind, and just let your fingers take the song where it needs to go.

but on other thoughts.....just go with the muse song.
Quote by Applehead
^ I have a lot of Muse tracks with NO bass in them. If you want one, let me know. I have muscle musem, hysteria amongst others....

let me know

time is running out?
<//////>~
Rush has some groovy basslines. Tom Sawyer is probably about the same difficulty as Money, but they have a lot of great songs to look at. Playing "Pigs (3 different Ones)" might be fun if you're into Pink Floyd a lot, cool & easy bass intro
I've always liked Peace Sells by Megadeath. It sounds nice and isn't too hard.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

im pretty sure im gunna do time is running out by muse if i can find a backing track
<//////>~
WTF!? why does everyone go to a school where they can play bass guitar!

My damn school will let guitar into the jazz band but not bass guitar.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
WTF!? why does everyone go to a school where they can play bass guitar!

My damn school will let guitar into the jazz band but not bass guitar.

does your school know what a jazz band is?
<//////>~
the wind cries mary or little wing by jimi hendrix
or wish you were here by pink floyd
or the sky is crying by stevie ray vaughn

those were the first that came to my mind
Quote by myself101
does your school know what a jazz band is?

Word. Bass is one of the most critical instruments in jazz, I seriously doubt you're telling us the whole story.
Another one bites the dust
Heart of the sunrise (Yes)
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by nick83
the wind cries mary or little wing by jimi hendrix

those were the first that came to my mind

I'll second those, just learned "Wind cries Mary". Simple but beautiful and sounds great with a chorus pedal.
Quote by anarkee
I'll second those, just learned "Wind cries Mary". Simple but beautiful and sounds great with a chorus pedal.

on bass?

i always thought of jimi as guitar only stuff
<//////>~
Its doable on bass, just takes a bit of effort and rework. Also, quite a few of Noel Redding's bass lines actually echo what Jimi is doing on bass. Both the bass and the guitar parts on this song are fun to play on bass.

Jaco was a big fan of Jimi and played quite a few of Hendrix's licks on bass, which is what made me start digging into Jimi's stuff from a bass perspective. A guitarist friend of mine and I are working on Spanish Castle Magic and are thinking of throwing the lead (melody) back and forth between us for fun. It sounds a bit of a train wreck at present but eventually when we woodshed it a bit it should sound good.
Quote by hotlove
do the orion solo by metallica, fricken awsome

^

or anestesia(pulling teeth) by metallica i dont know it your a tallica fan but this ones great
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
My problem is the lube,it's not easing the pain,it just makes it less gripy

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait a minute! Do they send the boxes in boxes!?

EASY MONEY!!!!
Something - The Beatles, one of the greatest melodic basslines ever and not too difficult but a challenge
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^ This man speaks the truth. It's not particularly difficult to play, either.
You also might want to try "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" or "You Never Give Me Your Money". Both have melodic and interesting basslines.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by rorythefaggot
^ This man speaks the truth. It's not particularly difficult to play, either.
You also might want to try "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" or "You Never Give Me Your Money". Both have melodic and interesting basslines.

I actually think "I Want You" is difficult with those supper fast runs in the high range, but it is an awesome track.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
do you need to make a cover?
why don't you create a riff use your imagination.
maybe it wont be great, but its yours.
AbsentMind
I just played Welcome to the jungle by guns n roses, i did play it with guitar and drums but it got me an A* so i would recommend it
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
8 Days a Week by the Beatles is fun and easy. So is Love Gun by KISS. These are songs that are fast to learn and no one else will be doing them.
*Guitars:
Fender Aerodyne Bass
Schecter Stiletto Elite Bass
ESP LTD B-155 Bass
Dean Edge 8-String Bass
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Guitar
As it appears you are set on doing Time Is Running Out, this may fall on deaf ears, but I would honestly suggest The Trees by Rush. It's not too difficult, but it requires a fair amount of skill. There are changes to the time signature which would show a very high understanding of your instrument, plus the bassline is itself very interesting. There are 3 distinct patterns, and each time a pattern occurs there are little variations in the bassline as well, so it would also help you display your ability to learn a song in intricate detail (as opposed to just learning a riff that repeats itself)
Its High Time For A Walk On The Real Side, Lets Admit The Bastard's Beat Us!
oh, ive already done it, i did time is running out

ive made a new thread about finding a bass solo for my next music preformance
<//////>~